Support WebDAV

Dear Silver,
I would like to strongly request again to implement a possibility in the iOS app to sync with a WebDav server. WebDav is essential for many users and if Obsidian takes the promise of being the most secure note-taking app seriously, then the ability to sync with a private WebDav server from within the iOS app is an essential feature of the app. So once again my request to implement this feature.

And already thank you so much for your efforts, and all the best for 2022

P.S.: Of course I know that you can store your Vault on a WebDav server, but this is about the synchronization with mobile iOS devices.

3 Likes

How does the first-party Obsidian Sync plugin function?

(Shameless plug here)

Hi all, I developed an unofficial plugin remotely-save allowing users sync notes between local devices and remote services including webdav and more (s3, onedrive, dropbox). And it works on both iOS and Android. But there is one major limitation that the webdav serivce must enable CORS headers in the responses if users are using Obsidian < 0.13.25.

Anyone is welcome to give it a try, but please remember to backup your vault firstly.

5 Likes
    1. webDAV also make we have more choices on mobile device. (we could use any cloud server which support webDAV to sync Obsidian content
4 Likes

Cool! Have you tried / tested it with Nextcloud?

I have not tried it by myself. But some users reported that it worked if the servers were correctly configured.

3 Likes

I’m use cryptomator with WebDav. On create obsidian vault throw error An error occurred while loading Obsidian. Error: EISDIR: illegal operation on a directory.

+1 Support WebDav is important feature.

1 Like

As long as people are chalking up $8/mo for Obsidian Sync I think we have what you might call a “conflict of interest”, here. :pensive: WebDAV support across platforms would probably have me drop-kicking DayOne / Joplin at some point.

2 Likes

Would love to have this feature also, but I don’t think this will be officially supported, as @davidangel mentioned, this is a conflict of interest to developing team’s official storage service.

2 Likes

+1 for WebDAV support

Started to use Obsidian on Mac + Synology NAS and really happy with. But due to this limitation, Obsidian is UNUSABLE on iPhone. Hence won’t be using it anymore.

Unfortunately the synchronization in both directions does not work on NextCloud File. The problem is that it is not possible to choose the download directory, which is readable and writable for third party applications. NextCloud File only allows to choose download directories internal to the application.

I advise you to use either FolderSync or Synchronize Últimate. If you are brave, you have Syncthing.

Currently I synchronize between my laptop and my phone in both directions with Synching. From my laptop I will synchronize to my Raspberry (nextcloud)

2 Likes

Thanks so much Lexii. I ended up using Synching and am a big fan of it. Appreciate you taking the time to respond and help!

This issue has mentioned three times support for iPhone via Webdav (now: 4 times :wink: ).
I really digged into syncing the folders via Synology Drive App.
And guys, it does not work.
As far as i understand it, iPhone assignes app-specific folders to apps, which are accessible in the files app, but which are not available for sharing or accessible by other apps.

Concrete that means in my case:

• I could sync a folder from the Windows PC to the Drive App on the iPhone

• Obsidian is not able to open this folder from there

• I could create a Obsidian Vault on the iPhone and see the files in the files app.

• The Drive App was not able to setup an sync job with this folder - it’s not visible in that app

I assume it’s the same with Webdav. Didn’t test is specifically.

Since i have a similar issue with another app here, i guess the only way to get it run is to implement a webdav directly into Obsidian.
That what the issue is about, i guess.

Hope, you genious Obsidian developers, can make it.

Thank you, Thomas

1 Like