Support for native macOS dictionary+thesaurus

There’s a long-standing feature request to support native macOS autocorrection, which I assume still hasn’t been implemented due to Electron/CodeMirror issues.

However, I recently noticed that although Logseq (another Electron app) doesn’t support autocorrect either, it does support the native macOS dictionary and thesaurus though the native right-click Look Up command.

Implementing this in Obsidian for Mac users would be very helpful while we’re waiting for Electron/CodeMirror to add support for (ideally native) autocorrect.

6 Likes

YES PLEASE. That little lookup feature is a handy writing tool.

3 Likes

I have lookup enabled on my MBP’s trackpad using ‘Tap with Three Fingers’. This gives direct access in Obsidian to the dictionaries and thesaurus installed in macOS. Does what you want?

2 Likes

I use PopClip for that sort of thing:

https://pilotmoon.com/popclip/

Edit: the huge range of extensions https://pilotmoon.com/popclip/extensions/

Right-click does not, but ctrl+cmd+d does, :slight_smile:
nonetheless, would not hurt to have autocorrection in Obsidian

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s a nice workaround, but it would still be great to have native macOS behavior wherever possible, and Logseq has shown that right-click support for native dictionary/thesaurus lookup is doable in Electron.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that, it’s a handy workaround, but not all macOS users have a MacBook or Magic Trackpad. And many MacBook users connect a mouse and external keyboard when working at their desks and don’t always have the trackpad within easy reach.

2 Likes

Not sure if I should add this here or open a new request, but:

The native Look Up works (there was perhaps a recent update?), but only with the mouse pointer. I want to open Look Up for the word currently under the Obsidian cursor (or highlighted word) by just pressing ctrl-cmd-D. But this doesn’t work. I need to hover the mouse pointer over the word first.

Perhaps this is because of Electron or CodeMirror, but it would be nice to get this working, because this is a workflow I am very accustomed to (many years of using a Mac).

Look up was implemented. I am gonna close this FR.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.