Spellcheck

Please add spellcheck :grinning:

68 Likes

Wouldn’t this be possible for a plugin to accomplish? Spellcheck can get really complex depending on the user. Might be better to support this with plugins, same as a code linter or other helpful tool.

3 Likes

There’s a builtin spellchecker that can be used with the latest version of Electron

https://www.electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/spellchecker

7 Likes

I’d say this definitely falls in the core of the app, since it has a native-interaction component to it. We could provide an API for plugins to override the suggestions though.

Electron does provide the spellchecker, but since we’re using CodeMirror, which doesn’t use content-editable, we actually need to hook up quite some code for the spellchecker to work in the editor.

6 Likes

This might be trickier, but an integration with a service Grammarly would be awesome too, and would automatically take care of spellchecking.

11 Likes

That’s firmly plugin territory I’d say.

3 Likes

Just want to add my vote for spellcheck capability. I used to use aspell in vim. Seemed to work well. Don’t know if it still exists…

5 Likes

As the wheel has already been invented, if at all possible, it would be nice to use 3rd party solutions such as Grammarly or LanguageTool.

5 Likes

I prefer a system (ex Mac) spell checker. Don’t like Grammarly getting more and more content they look at (and misuse possibly). So system level spell checking, thx.

21 Likes

I would definitely appreciate this, I often misspel when I’m freeflowing!

5 Likes

This is a must-have for me. This is one of only 2 things holding me back from fully embracing Obsidian right now

9 Likes

Also for me, this is crucial :wink:

4 Likes

I would also kill for a spellchecker

up vote for this one! plug in or native it’s a must have for any writing app.

4 Likes

I am well known as the King of Typos!

+1 Mac spell checker
+1 Grammarly

@kbrede, provided a bash script solution via Aspell here.

3 Likes

System spellchecker has the added bonus of text expansion and replacement, at least on Mac.

5 Likes

+1 For system spellcheck

1 Like

Support 3rd party tools, like Grammarly, will be great.
+1 Grammarly

6 Likes

+1 for system

In great demand for spellcheck.