Spell Checker

The spell checker in Obsidian is terrible. Type in “spel” and it suggests “spells” but not “spell”. In my experience it doesn’t provide a correct suggestion over 50% of the time, even when I’m only one letter off. It’s my understanding it’s not an Obsidian designed feature, it’s instead based on the Chrome spellchecker (though I don’t recall spellchecking ever being this bad in Chrome). Since it can be turned off, is there a way to create a spellchecker as a plugin? I see other requests for foreign languages and such, but not a basic replacement of the English spell checker, which could be expanded to do other languages, and perhaps add other features.

2 Likes

Yes additional spell checkers are possible via plugins. These plugins typically communicate via HTTP API offered by the (usually) paid language checking service. Example of this is LanguageTool which offers free plans. There exists a community plugin for LanguageTool. However using a community plugin for serious writing is somewhat conflicting since you really care about what you are doing if you want to use quality spell checking tools. This essentially means you should use a web browser or MS Word to get best possible support from 3rd party language services.

1 Like

Unfortunately, LanguageTool integration is a nice job of Clemens-E, but it is far from a full feature integration.

Now we are using LanguageToolPlus (the “professional” ones), with web-based instruments. We are evaluating obsidian for business use, but without a full feature integration, in terms of language support for our users, is a step back.

It’s a shame, I’ll have to start looking for other solutions, when I hoped I had found the right tool in obsidian.

Exactly. If you want best in terms of language tools, you need to use a web browser which gives access to various 3rd party tools. This idea of universal extendability is partially captured by this feature request:

Other interesting and related feature request: