Slower to underline misspellings

Use case or problem

With spell check on, words will be underlined as misspelled as you type, so nearly every word you’re in the middle of typing will get a red underline. This - for me - ruins the polished feel I’m hoping Obsidian can achieve - to have this flashing red underline on every character I type.

Proposed solution

Wait until there is a space or punctuation mark before deciding if the word is misspelled.

Typora, for example, does this. However, I will note that the way Obsidian does this now seems more common than not.

Current workaround (optional)

Turn off spellcheck.

Related feature requests (optional)

7 Likes

I second this. Submitted a bug report here and was told to make a feature request. Then found this!

I’ve never seen a text editor’s spellcheck work this way, and it doesn’t really make sense. Should definitely be fixed.

2 Likes

Just adding that I too would love to see this fixed! Tiny change but would make spellcheck way more unobtrusive / usable.

Hi there, I’m not an Insider so I’m not sure if this is different in releases post 0.12.19 but I’ve noticed that the spellcheck is a little hasty when writing. It underlines things that it doesn’t recognize which is fine.

However, this also happens when the word isn’t even finished yet, meaning it doesn’t recognize the word because it’s not a word yet. Is there a way to change this? I.e. have spellcheck only look at a word once the word is actually done being typed?

The constant flashing of the underlining is a little distracting, is all.

1 Like

This really needs to be fixed asap, it’s confusing when writing as no other app do this behaviour.

This should be fixed in 0.13.13

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.