Slow Obsidian Startup

This is a just a general question. I am using Obsidian on a Windows 10 system. Mine is not a new PC but it meets my needs on a daily basis (no SSD). My Obsidian vault contains about 2200 notes at present and I am using about 25 plugins. When I start Obsidian it can sometimes take upwards of 20-30 seconds to get to the point of being able to view and/or enter a note. After that, it is very responsive and pretty quick (unless I try a full on graph view of my vault). I am just curious if this would be considered normal or if there is something I can do to speed up the initiation (clear cache?? if even possible).

There is an option in the community plugins menu called Debug startup time. That would be an excellent way to determine if it is a plugin. Some plugins will index some or all of your vault, which can impact startup time. Also, in the command palette is an option to show debug info. Please share that information.

I usually leave Obsidian running all day, but close it overnight. I don’t shutdown the PC overnight. I noticed that when I stop and restart Obsidian, the startup time is significantly reduced. The debug startup time info showed plugins load in about 670ms so I don’t think that is the bottleneck. I did find a couple of plugins that I don’t actively use anymore so I did some cleanup of those. Here is the debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.15.9
Installer version: v0.15.6
Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.19044
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Night Owl MT
Snippets enabled: 13
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 27
Plugins enabled: 24
1: Calendar v1.5.10
2: Dictionary v2.21.1
3: Natural Language Dates v0.6.1
4: Recent Files v1.3.3
5: Dataview v0.5.41
6: Templater v1.12.0
7: Force note view mode v1.1.1
8: MetaEdit v1.7.2
9: Tag Wrangler v0.5.3
10: Tasks v1.11.0
11: Note Refactor v1.7.1
12: Various Complements v7.1.1
13: Focus Mode v1.9.0
14: Bible Linker v1.2.6
15: Highlightr v1.2.1
16: Media Extended v2.11.1
17: Kindle Highlights v1.6.3
18: Review v1.6.4
19: Smart Random Note v0.2.1
20: Find orphaned files and broken links v1.6.0
21: Paste URL into selection v1.7.0
22: Thumbnails v1.2.1
23: Sliding Panes (Andy’s Mode) v3.3.0
24: Copy as HTML v1.0.5

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.