Slightly improved UX and UI

Hi All

I really love Obsidian and use it every day. It changes a lot and this is good because there are a lot of new features
But along with this, there is also a heaviness in the interface that not everyone will run into.
For changes in obsidian, I learned css to change it for myself, for which I am particularly grateful, it helped me modify fire fox for myself.

But I would like to suggest an option to visually simplify the obsidian interface, but at the same time preserve all its features. Part can be implemented using castom CSS,
but not all of them . And I would like to draw attention to this implementation option. And I hope that many people will like it and maybe it will become possible in Obsidian.

1. Tabs . Now when using tabs and window frame style = hidden, moving the window has become a problem.
  • Make the minimum and maximum size of tabs and increase them to fit the size of the test
  • Make it possible to move the program window by holding down ALT or CTRL + drag for tabs and icons or the entire top line.
  • Make it possible to hide the tab closing buttons. since it is already possible to close tabs by clicking the mouse wheel by default.

1. App ribbon.

-Since the visual concept of Obsidian has changed a lot with the introduction of tabs, it is no longer several vertical spaces.Then I propose to implement it in the form of a menu with a button and put side bars buttons there as well.
It will be convenient to add buttons from plugins there without spoiling the overall look

-For ease of remembering keyboard shortcuts for sidebar, I suggest using CTRL + [ and CTRL +] after such a setup, icons are not needed by 90% of people

1. Panels.
  • I suggest removing the panel icons in the interactive menu. That is, the first icon contains the icons of all panels. the rest of the icons are icons for this panel.
    By clicking on the panel icon in the drop-down menu, you can select another panel and the icon in the topbar will change to the selected panel and the rest of the icons will change to those that correspond to this panel

• You can also drag the desired panel to another area. To do this, open the menu with panel icons and drag the desired panel from the menu list to the desired area

• The implementation of panels through the menu can add the ability to change any of the panels opened separately to the desired one without additional dragging

1 Like

Hi there, you’ve put a lot of effort and thought into this post, so thanks!

But I do want to prepare you, there is a chance this will be closed, or moved. Feature Requests are supposed to follow the template, and be one request per thread. You are packing a lot of information into one thread, including UI issues, change suggestions, hotkey suggestions. It’s too much for one thread.

This is something that was reported and fixed. And it depended on your OS. This doesn’t belong in a feature request thread. Search the forum, and make sure you’re up to date in your Obsidian installer. If you still have trouble, post in Help, include your Debug Info, and explain what the problem is.

Some of your UI changes could perhaps be in Share & Showcase. If people like it, they could grab your CSS snippets.

You can already set this. That’s the combination I use. “icons are not needed by 90% of people” sounds like [citation needed].

A specific hotkey is not a very useful feature request, because people will want to map things differently, depending on their keyboard layouts, or existing hotkeys. Choosing a default hotkey is a big design issue.

On the other hand, asking for a missing functionality to be exposed as a command would be a good feature request. But again, you can already hide the sidebars with a command.

Some of these other menu suggestions should be split into separate threads.

Anyway, I see you making new replies and screenshots. So I just want to let you know not to put too much effort into this thread, in case it gets closed for not following the template. You might be asked to resubmit these things according to the template.

3 Likes

move to help.

1 Like

I am grateful for the gentleness of your response . And good recommendations. I will pay more attention to the rules for compiling topics.

Blockquote
This is something that was reported and fixed. And it depended on your OS. This doesn’t belong in a feature request thread. Search the forum, and make sure you’re up to date in your Obsidian installer. If you still have trouble, post in Help, include your Debug Info, and explain what the problem is.

I probably expressed my thought badly. The problem is not bugs, the problem is that when you have a lot of tabs, you simply do not have enough space to grab the window to transfer.

In any case, thank you, I will follow your recommendation

1 Like

Ah yes, I see what you mean. All the more reason to keep separate threads, so these details don’t get lost. I didn’t notice that your subsequent bullets were related to that point.

Hiding the tab close buttons doesn’t seem exactly related to that point. I wonder if you’ve figured that out with CSS yet? I seem to remember a thread where someone hid them with a snippet. But I can’t find it right now. :frowning:

Blockquote
I probably expressed my thought badly. The problem is not bugs, the problem is that when you have a lot of tabs, you simply do not have enough space to grab the window to transfer.

yes, this is not a problem, it is rather a small whim for the convenience of all users. I haven’t been on the forum for a long time and forgot how many more important questions are in the queue, I think it’s worth using Custom CSS for this for now

1 Like

I am very interested in this interface layout and would like to ask how it can be implemented. Can you tell me the method? Thank you

I agree with your ideas! The app layout looks a lot cleaner in your pictures. And combining the sidebar toggle button with the panel buttons is genius.

Also, I’m curious, did you achieve all of that with CSS alone?

1 Like

It is more convenient to keep these two in the left and right tests

These are minor features that don’t matter for many people and I would hate to see Obsidian’s development get distracted by these comparatively unimportant things when there are about a billion more interesting things they could be doing.

The interface design is beautiful, the interaction is convenient and clear, and the experience is good, which is very important in my opinion

Unfortunately, you can only change the size of tabs to remove the close buttons . I never managed to adjust the size of tabs to the text

1. Place the App Ribbon in the top bar.
    But unfortunately it will not be a full-fledged button with a menu , but there will be a hidden menu that will appear when the mouse is placed in the desired area where we substitute the icon image . to do this, the HIDER plugin is used and the css approach is similar to the one in the minimal theme.

I posted 3 separate topics for each of the questions, but unfortunately I did not find support . I would do it myself, but there is no time to study Type script to write the necessary plugins. Aesthetics in software unfortunately does not have that much weight for many . let’s hope that it may be possible to find someone who can write individual plugins if it does not interest the public

Guys if you’re interested then I’ve made some progress and you can try css from here

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.