Show notes without tags

Notes without tags are low quality notes for me. I would love to find those low quality notes. A plugin that would show me all notes without tags would be great. Bear has this as well.

7 Likes

You could do a regex-search for -/#\w+/ (it says: exclude files which contain # directly followed by a word)

12 Likes

Great idea! I had to tweak the regex to -/#[a-z]\w+/, though, since notes referring to the #1 thing you need to do will otherwise get falsely considered to have tags. :wink:

Another weird trick you can do: if you start all your tag names with /, then searching for -tag:# will actually work. (It’d be nice if Obsidian’s search just took -tag: or -tag:# to mean “find untagged”, though.)

7 Likes

This community plugin works well.

you can also use dataview like this

```dataview
List 
From "" 
WHERE length(file.tags) = 0
SORT file.mtime desc ```
6 Likes

I want to do something similar. I tend to take notes and then [plan to] go over them later, adding tags and cleaning them up. I then add a “processed” tag to the frontmatter.

Is there any way to search for notes without a specific tag?

Yep. If you were to search for all tags with tag #urgent you might search for:

tag:#urgent

If you wanted to find all pages without #urgent you would put a dash in front of it:

-tag:#urgent

1 Like

I use this which works and removes journals. Restricting to just markdown too but likely not necessary:

-/#[^\s]\w+/ path: -/journals/ file: .md

If you wanted to restrict to just hastags with alphabetical characters to accomodate tags that could start with caps and lowercase you can also do this – and this also includes tags that start with underscores, which I sometimes do to change ordering of tags in my sidebar to the top:

-/#[A-Za-z_]\w+/

1 Like