Show location of currently open file

Use case or problem

I sometimes find myself looking at a file (freshly opened via search, or coming back to Obsidian after a while), and having no idea where in the folder hierarchy the file is located. At the top of the window, it shows the filename, but I have a bunch of parallel hierarchies, so I have files with the same name in quite a few different folders, and it is hard to know which of these I am looking at in Obsidian.

Proposed solution

At the top of the window, also show the path to the currently open file, within the notes hierarchy. This is common in IDEs, e.g. vscode does something like that.

Current workaround (optional)

I can click “Reveal file in navigation” and then scroll up and down the navigation pane until I find the highlighted file.

I could also make sure all filenames in my vault are unique, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having folders in the first place…

Related feature requests (optional)

1 Like

I ran into this very problem last week. I had duplicate files after doing some “gardening” and I wasn’t sure which file was which because the names didn’t help.

It was driving me nuts, so I’ve started putting this in my Templater templates. Note that this is dynamic, so if the file moves, it will be updated. For that reason, I don’t think this can go in YAML frontmatter, but I haven’t tried that yet.

<% +tp.file.path(relative=false) %>

For this matter, I use the plugin “Path Title”. You can find it in the Community Plugins.

There is also the community plugin “Show Current File Path”

Also the plugin “Quick Explorer” puts a breadcrumb note path at the top. And you can use it to browse around your note file structure too, including with keyboard, which I like a lot.

screenshot_2022-08-16_04-31-26

2 Likes

See similar FR Allow show folder path in title