Setting Automated Time Frames for Light Mode and Dark Mode

Use case or problem

I like to use Light Mode during the day and Dark Mode when it gets closer to bedtime. I know it sounds lazy, but when you use Obsidian at all times of day every day, it can be kind of inconvenient to have to go into your settings and manually switch to Light or Dark mode twice a day.

Proposed solution

I think it would be useful to be able to tell Obsidian to be in Light mode during a certain time frame, and in Dark mode during the rest of the time.

E.g. Light mode: 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM | Dark mode: 9:00 PM - 8:00 AM

That way it switches automatically depending on the time of day without you having to think about it or go to the trouble of switching. The setting would be under Appearance>Base Theme, along with the Light/Dark mode setting itself.

Current workaround (optional)

Manually switching between Light mode and Dark mode using the settings menu

Related feature requests (optional)

This feature request for a Dark/Light mode toggle hotkey would be another potential solution, although each idea would work better for different people with different preferences.

What operating system(s) are you using it on?

1 Like

Android and Windows.

I was on my desktop when I wrote this, but it occurred to me later that a toggle hotkey wouldn’t help me on mobile (which is slower to switch on already, since you have to go through a few extra steps/buttons to get there instead of just Ctrl+,)

This isn’t a great solution, but if there are apps that let you make automations/scripts (I know there are a couple on Android), you might be able to set one up that twice a day checks whatever text file contains the setting, does a text replacement if needed, and restarts Obsidian.

1 Like

Oh, you know what, I discovered there’s an app on Windows called Auto Dark Mode that lets you change your settings so your computer automatically switches between Light and Dark mode at set times, and I’m sure my phone has that too, so I can just use the “Adapt To System” option in Obsidian for both devices. (:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.