Search/Filter Box in Tag Pane

It would be amazing to be able to quickly search existing tags in the tag pane.

What I means is a search bar inside the tag pane.

Here:

Why?

With the amazing implementation of #sub/level/tags there are specific tags that are hard to remember their exact tag path.

it also helps search specific tags much faster than scrolling, specially since by default tags are uncollapsed and must be closed manually as discussed here > (Un) Fold all nested tags

What this is not about

I’m aware of the powerful functionality of searching with the syntax tag:#exercise or even sub tags tag:#sub/tags

but there is no current way of do a quick fuzzy search for tags and subtags based on a quick text search in a panel.

Workaround

I have a blank note called tag search where I write the tag I’m searching for and then delete the content of that note, to not clutter my tags.

Example

With this temporary note I can run a full search and find out that the tag #exercise belongs to the tag path… #growth/health/exercise
and now I can do a search on it, and combine it with other more advanced search techniques.

Similar Topics

Make tag suggestion modal fuzzy-er

Thank you, this would be an amazing feature

13 Likes

+1 on this feature! It would be amazing if there is a search within the tag pane or better still to have a more flexible/fuzzier search in the main search window. Please this would be so awesome.

1 Like

'i use tags to objectify my hierarchical note taking paths (as obsidian without it is not a good place for hierarchical outlining ) and in practice, “tag pane” without searching means slow or non-function if imagine that between thousand tags and their children "

1 Like

why is not possible to implement “search-bar” in tag pane? it is very intuitive to be there something like that.

1 Like

Ditto on this. Inability to do fuzzy search on tags is becoming more of a problem as tag list grows. It is impossible to remember all tag names used. Autocomplete and fuzzy search would help keep the list tidy, as when I type, for example, #cult … autocomplete would discover #trends/culture.
Search needs to be in the tag list itself, as @santi suggested, in order to see the list narrowing to required outcome

1 Like

to clarify a little further.
When I am adding a tag to a note, the autocomplete/fuzzy search works exactly how I want. ie, typing #cult narrows the list rapidly to (in my list) #trends/culture and #work/culture. I can then choose the appropriate tag.
I would like a search pane to do the exact same thing, not have to type into a note to narrow the field

Bumping this back into thread before starting a new conversation on same topic.
Is there a proposed solution to this yet. Not being able to search tags is a limiting factor in what is a fabulous app

yeah, this feature would still be amazing to have on the tag pane

Feature

• Filtering or Searching tags from tag-pane

Why important

• One who uses tags extensively, it become important to be able to search throught the list of tags

Use case

• Great plugins like tag-wangler, also require this functionality
12 Likes

Yes, searching tags would be great. Zotero had this great feature where it gives you a list of only the tags present in your current search results- that’s an adjacent feature that could be useful in similar ways.

5 Likes

This is a good workaround for short tag lists but does not scale well. Imagine you have hundreds of tags, and you don’t really know the exact tag you are looking for.

(Example: Which tag did I use for Go Modules documents again? #go_modules or #modules or #golang_modules? Or did I even create an extra tag for the Module Proxy server, maybe #go_module_proxy or #GoModuleProxy or #go-proxy?)

Typing a part of the (guessed) tag name (like, “mod” or “proxy”) would be a quick and convenient way to find a tag in a long tag list quickly.

1 Like

I absolutly agree with you if I can use it with autocomplete, where you can search for in the entire tag. With countinous filtering with autocomplete you can get the best offerings and can choose from them.
Füles

2 Likes

I’d also love something like this. I have hundreds of tags too and run into the same issues

1 Like

i use tags to objectify my hierarchical note taking paths (as obsidian without it is not a good place for hierarchical outlining ) and in practice, “tag pane” without searching means slow or non-function if imagine that between thousand tags and their children. then +1

I, too, with two hands for the search for tags and autocomplete
here you have mine +

1 Like

I’m for this. I hope it’s sorted out soon.

2 Likes

Up for this too.

Yeah, this was the most valuable feature of Zotero for me!!!

Right now, the tag pane hasn’t enough functionality yet.

What am I missing, and was possible in Zotero:

• a powerful tag-search: which tags do I already use?
  • visualize connections between tags:
    • when I search for one specific tag, I want to have the information/suggestion, which other tags are used within notes, that use this specific tag, to refine my tag-based search further (at the same time, I want a suggestion of all notes, that use that one tag (yeah, seeing these tagged notes is already possible in Obsidian))
      • to refine my tag-based search further, I want to be able to click a second, third, … tag, out of that pool of suggested tags, while the pool of connected tags is reducing furthermore - and so do the suggested notes, which contain all the clicked tags

Anyone an idea, if that kind of feature will be available soon?

kind regards,
Silias

3 Likes

+1 for this. I have hundreds of tags and it’s tiresome to find/rename one tag (with the Tag Wrangler plugin)

But I noticed that people are mixing “autocomplete tag in search box” with this feature in the discussions. I think it would be better to keep relevant discussions to their specific pages, so as to not raise confusion and speed up development process.

3 Likes

Hello,

I use tags a lot and it would be incredibly useful to be able to filter tags directly in the tags pane. Currently, I have to scroll through a long list of tags to be able to select what I am looking for.

I added a quick mockup to demonstrate the idea.

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 9.47.48 AM copy

Thanks.

7 Likes