Screen goes blank when trying to select a font in appearance settings

Steps to reproduce

1. Open the Settings
  2. Go to the Appearance tab
  3. Under “Font” > “Interface Font”, click on “Manage” button

The same happens when clicking the “Manage” button for any other font category.

Expected result

I expect to be able to adjust the font settings without the app crashing.

Actual result

The entire screen goes blank. I cannot do anything in the app without either quitting and restarting, or using the menu “View” > “Force Reload”.

Environment

• Operating system: macOS Monterey 12.4
  • Debug info:
SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v0.15.9
	Installer version: v0.15.6
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.5.0: Tue Apr 26 21:08:22 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.121.3~4/RELEASE_X86_64 21.5.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: vip
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Legacy editor: off
	Base theme: dark
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

My reproduction steps, debug info, and the GIF below showing the reproduction were all done in the sandbox environment (“Help” > “Show Debug Info” > “Sandbox vault”).

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 08.18

download and reinstall obsidian. Does it still happen?

Did that, and yes it still happens.

Here is the updated debug info, in case that’s useful:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Installer version: v0.15.9
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.5.0: Tue Apr 26 21:08:22 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.121.3~4/RELEASE_X86_64 21.5.0
	Insider build toggle: off

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

do cmd-opt-i and reproduce the bug. do you see errors in console section?

I have another laptop, and the issue does not happen there.

Debug info:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Installer version: v0.15.9
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.5.0: Tue Apr 26 21:08:29 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.121.3~4/RELEASE_ARM64_T8101 21.5.0
	Insider build toggle: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

This laptop is an M1 MacBook Air. The laptop that has the issue is a 2019 MacBook Pro. Could there be some system setting causing this?

The console gets disconnected.

click the console tab if you can.

What processor architecture are you using is there unusual with your OS?

Run Obsidian from the command line and see if you get errors in that console.

I don’t think there’s anything unusual? My uname -a shows the same info that’s in those debug info snippets

I ran Obsidian with open -W /Applications/Obsidian.app and reproduced the issue, but there were no logs in the console. Is there a different way I should do that?

just run the appname?

It shows the same “DevTools was disconnected from the page.” message. No other logs appear there.

What do you mean? What is the command I should run? obsidian is not in my $PATH

What is the difference between the two laptops? The only difference I saw from your debug logs is this part:

The laptop with the issue is using an Intel chip (6-Core Intel Core i7). The laptop with no issues is using an Apple M1 chip.

Weird. I’m testing this on an Intel i7 chip as well and it works just fine for me. The crash likely comes from the native module that reads the OS font list given it’s a hard crash, but I’m still surprised it doesn’t just throw an exception and moves on because we should be handling exceptions.

I don’t suppose you have any experience debugging native applications like this? I’m personally not very familiar with native debugging on macOS and it’s especially hard since I can’t reproduce it.

I do not have experience debugging native apps. I do have experience debugging web apps, in case that’s useful here? Happy to try things and report what I find!

Are you on Discord by any chance? Would speed things up if we can jump in chat real quick and bounce back some ideas for debugging. I’m Licat on the server.

Yep! Just sent you a message

1 Like