Saving notes to sidebar per workspace

Hi all,

I don’t know if this is a bug since I don’t think it’s an intended feature. Mods feel free to move this if needed.

Before using the workspace plugin I was able to drag and drop notes in my sidebar that would stay there even if I quit Obsidian. After adding workspaces I’ve noticed that the notes I add to the sidebar will go away and show an empty note. See below for screenshots.

I’ve set up my sidebars in a way I like, including saving a note to a sidebar, and saved the setup as a workspace. If I switch to a different workspace and quit Obsidian the next time I open the program and go to a different saved workspace the note will be gone. Is there a way to keep these notes saved to the workspace?

1 Like

Hmm, this would seem like a bug, but I can’t reproduce it. I have a saved workspace with a note in the sidebar. I load a different workspace, quit, open, load the original workspace, and the note is still in the sidebar.

It seems a little intermittent? After posting here I noticed my sidebar notes were still showing up after switching between workspaces and quiting/opening Obsidian. This morning though the sidebar pages are empty in the two workspaces I saved them in.

Today I learned you can drag notes to the sidebar! Cool! :smiley:

1 Like

So I guess there is something else to this. Is it intermittent with the same workspace or is there something particular about the workspace where this is occurring?

I’ve seen this happen across 2 workspaces but I didn’t pay enough attention to see if happened more with one or another. I have two where I wanted to save a reference note in the sidebar but a third where I didn’t need it. I’ve seen the space where I saved the note as “empty” in both workspaces that had it.

I don’t know why this would matter, but could the file name make a difference? I usually save files in lowercase with dashes but this reference has an emoji in the file name.

I don’t think this is the problem because I had an emoji in the filename I was testing.

How about the configuration of the workspace? Maybe the stacked panes?

I have the outline and note up top, backlinks and tags in a lower pane. So try testing with them all in one pane? See screenshot.
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 13.32.24

I saved this as a new workspace and tried switching around to other workspaces and restarting Obsidian a few times. So far the note has stayed put. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Edit to add that I saved a few variations with the note being displayed in the saved workspace and others with the outline pane displayed. I also have one with all the views (outline, tags, backlinks, my note) in one pane, one with these split up. So I guess I’ll see if any of them lose the note in the future!

Sounds good. If you are able to repeat the issue, feel free to post in #bug-reports

1 Like