Sanctum’s a minimalist theme with the aim of creating a serene space of retreat, for thought and uninterrupted work.
- Smart Typography: for a better and coherent writing experience.
- Contextual Typography: For a better typographic experience.
- Style Settings: for customization options
You can manually install the following theme by:
- downloading the CSS file and moving it into the folder
.obsidian/themes/located in your vault folder
- rename the css file to
- in Obsidian, go to
Reload themes, and select
- This theme was made with the intent of clarifying Obsidian’s UI, reducing the unnecessary clutter and keeping what’s essential for an enjoyable and intuitive experience;
- Greyscale palette is the same both for light as well as dark theme;
- Colour is also used for contrast when hovering and activating elements.
- Every element is styled according to a predetermined grid, scale, animations (based on IBM’s Carbon Design System) and colours - this conveys consistency throughout the theme;
- The theme was created with the intention of using only one workhorse font, used everywhere, but styled differently. Thus the theme comes with only 1 font family - iA Writer’s font family, specifically iA Writer Mono V and iA Writer Quattro V. This font family not only provides the user with an enjoyable experience, but it also comes in variable files, meaning they’re smaller in size, and shouldn’t affect the theme’s performance. It is expected that this font family will be compiled into a single file in the future, which will only make the theme lighter in size, as well as more versatile when it comes to text styling.
- Offer a similar enjoyable experience, independently of screen size or device.
- Use of calming colours, only used either to convey importance, or in the note file itself;
- The background colour is the same in every element, to reduce visual noise and give a more calming atmosphere;
- Elements are related to each other using the rules of visual gestalt. This means that they’re grouped by proximity, in a common region or as a focal point.
- Resize Handles are understated, until hovered.
- Variable headings - they’ll change size depending on screen size;
- Custom icons (as well as custom file icons!);
- Sidenotes (credit @SlRvb);
- Multi-Color Highlights (credit @Atlas);
- Custom Checkbox / Task types;
- Custom Codeblock language -
pure-text, that enables you to write text for easy copying;
- Custom Link icons;
- Image desaturation: better for consistency, they gain normal colour when hovered (credit @kepano);
- WYSIWYG hr elements in Edit Mode, as a compliment to Smart Typography. If the plugin is enabled, add and extra dash for it to work;
- Active line highlighting;
- Folded heading/list indicator (in edit and preview mode).
- Advanced Tables
- Copy Code Button (it now supports Obsidian v0.12.17’s new code copy button!)
- Quick Explorer
- Sliding Panes (Andy’s Mode)
- Style Settings
(for plugin support requests & issues, refer to Feedback & Contributions)
The following theme significantly alters Obsidian’s original css, and so is prone to breaking upon new Obsidian updates, as well as being incompatible with custom css snippets. It is also in a very early stage of development, and so quick and sometimes drastic changes may be expected in the near future. Having said that, any and every piece of feedback is appreciated! More customization options will be available in the future.