"Same Window" and "New Window" options for open vault

When I open a vault, I would like the options for “Same Window” or “New Window”. New window is currently the default. Same window would replace the current vault in view with the new vault. This is not the request to view multiple vaults in one window.

This is helpful for two reasons:

1. More quickly and easily navigate OS windows without multiple Obsidian instances
  2. More obvious which vault is going to open when you close Obsidian
20 Likes

Love this! It can get a little cluttered when switching between multiple files.

1 Like

I would love this

1 Like

This would be a great easy workaround for the lack of tab support too. Not as good as tabs, but probably good enough.

I’m also on board with this idea. I’d really like the simple feature of being able to open multiple instances of an Obsidian within the same vault.

1 Like

Is any luck with this? What the approximate date of release?

I also would love this to be an option. I though about it the moment I switched vaults, and I can see I’m not the only one. I feel like I naturally prefer that kind of workflow.

I would also to open multiple Obsidian windows.

For more context: I’m considering switching to Obsidian for my usual note taking workflow. For years I have happily used Sublime Text to edit plain text files in a single ~/Notes directory (and for some years now, my friends have recommended I check out Obsidian :slight_smile:).

But my usual workflow depends on multiple windows on different macOS desktops. This is my workflow:

1. Some new thread of work happens; for example, I go to a coffee shop to kick the tires on a new piece of technology (for example, Obsidian note taking tool).
  2. On macOS, I create and navigate to a new desktop.
  3. I launch a terminal, then launch Sublime Text with the subl --new-window ~/Notes command. Observation: Notice that --new-window option, that option launches a new Sublime Text window on that new macOS desktop, other Sublime Text windows stay in other desktops.
  4. I happily create and edit a new text file named like 2023-06-01 Kick the tires on Obsidian.txt.
  5. When I’m done I can close all the windows on that desktop. Alternatively, I do my usual thing: forget about my window on that desktop, then come back to after a couple months and pick up where I left off—excellent!

The thing I like about my workflow—where I freely launch new windows—is how accommodating it is for my totally haphazard approach—I can quickly launch new windows without needing to close or organize whatever other threads of work I did earlier. Then things can be maximally messy (and creative)!

1 Like