Rendering of [[X#Y]]

Things I have tried

I’ve searched the forums, online doc, reddit, and google, and can’t find an answer to this.

What I’m trying to do

Currently, as far as I can tell, mentions of the form [[X#Y]] are rendered as X > Y.

I would like them to be rendered as just Y.

The only workaround I can think of is to use the form [[X#Y|Y]] which is too much friction for me.

Is there any option or plugin that can do what I’m looking for?

Are you trying to render math? Then see this discussion: Render math in links after pipe (or as an alias)

I understand this issue and agree. Maybe it would be helpful to elaborate a bit:
The scenario is that you want to link to a header in Myfile.md
So: [[Myfile#header]] which renders as Myfile>header. OP wants the link to not show the whole path, rendering instead simply as header.
My workaround is exactly as OP described: [[Myfile#header|header]] which has to be done manually, and I agree is friction.
An example of a use case scenario for me is a TOC for a course that I’ve built. It is the difference between the filename being repeated uselessly and adding clutter and having a very clean look with just the headers showing.

1 Like

If you try to link heading in the same file, I think you can type [[#header]] (without Myfile).

IMHO, I think there is an ambiguity if both [[X#Y]] and [[Z#Y]] are rendered as a single Y and another single Y automatically.

Just for clarification, I guess what you really expect is to turn [[X#Y]] into [[X#Y|Y]] automatically, right?

Yes, @GLight that sums it up. @jokysatria Good to know and thanks, but my TOC is not the same file.

1 Like

This feature request may be of interest: Automatically add '|' at the end of the page when you press 'tab' while linking a note

Thanks.

No, I’m not rendering math. The “X > Y” rendering format makes the preview less readable by third parties. if [[X#Y]] could be made to render as just Y then I can get the section heading text to flow better when being read.

I’m flexible. Either turn [[X#Y]] into [[X#Y|Y]] automatically, or just change how it previews.

Possibly add a setting to control this so different users can get whatever they need.

Here’s an actual case from my notes.
I have a page “About Richard Feynman” with a section “The Feynman Learning Technique”.

I want the reader to read:
The Observe-Reflect-Articulate loop bears some similarity to The Feynman Learning Technique.

The [[X#Y|Y]] workaround looks very clumsy in the editor, but not using the workaround poses a significant challenge for the reader, who may not be accustomed to reading the format produced.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.