Remembering heading and indent collapse in notes

folding is powerful tool and many users use it in many ways but it becomes useless to most of the people if it doesn’t remember where it is fold and where it is not.I like to see the toggle feature remembers it even if i close the program

63 Likes

Even the simple switch to the visualization mode loses its folding.

2 Likes

Using Dynalist, if we collapse a bullet, leave the page, and return to it later, the bullet remains collapsed. Toggles are a huge part of my workflow for every notetaking/outliner app I use, so this would be huge if implemented in Obsidian.

1 Like

When I collapse/fold a heading in a particular note, and I navigate off of that note and then navigate back to that note, it should remember if I collapsed/folded the heading. I don’t know if this should be the behavior when you close and reopen the note, but I do think this should be the behavior for navigation.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open note that thas headings
  2. Collapse a heading
  3. Navigate off the note
  4. Navigate back to that note
  5. the heading that was collapsed is no longer collapsed

Expected result:
the heading that was collapsed should still be collapsed.

17 Likes

We had discussions in the past about this. The devs would like to have this feature (if possible).

15 Likes

Saving the status of collapse/expand is a must-have IMO. Without I don’t see much of a use-case of the fold arrow feature in the first place because one intuitively assumes the status will be saved.

This is supported in Org-Mode/Emacs e.g.

6 Likes

when I collapse the content and change to another file , then come back to origin file, the collapse content was expand, hope it will stay the same collapse.

collapse:

come back to edit :

6 Likes

It’d be great if collapse and expand (with memory) worked as well on lists, so I can collapse the sub bullet points like in Roam

2 Likes

I make heavy use of the outlining capability within notes.

As I flesh out an outline, I collapse (fold) sections, to keep just the level of detail I want to be looking at visible.

What’s not working so well with this and needs improvement is, when I navigate away from this note and then return to it, the folded-state that I left it in is gone, and the outline is always completely expanded at every level.

I would like to see the note’s folded state when I left it be retained when I return to it.

36 Likes

Previously requested, albeit combined with the popular fold-in-preview request:

6 Likes

Ah, very good. I did a search before submitting but missed that sentence. Thanks.

+1 to that, I’d also love to see folding work in Preview.

5 Likes

I really need folded-state memory too…

3 Likes

I requested that feature too. I hope obsidian will take the matter seriously.

4 Likes

This sounds close to a P2 UI bug where element state should be respected, even across app restarts.

2 Likes

One of the use cases I can think of is active recall for studying - this would mean SO MUCH and only is a small tweak.

5 Likes

I find folding of bullets very useful for keeping my daily notes easily readable, but I frequently leave my daily note to view something else and then return to take a note. When I return, the folding has been reset.

Persisting fold information (and perhaps any other formatting Obsidian applies to markdown files) would be very useful.

3 Likes

There’s already a feature request for that Note Outline's folded-state memory

But I agree, it would be very helpful.

4 Likes

If I fold a title then re-open the file again, by default it is unfolded. maybe it will be a good feature if the file knows which title was folded before because for some file I just want to see the main title, not the whole thing.

– Me too. A genuine outline mode could be a very popular feature? Thanks.

3 Likes

+1
Dynalist is a role model to follow in this matter.

3 Likes