Fold/Unfold headings up to specific level hotkeys

I like this idea.

1 Like

My mistake, I always use the Ctrl+Shift+P menu to do it, so I just wrote what the shortcut says without thinking.

Command menu

What you actually have to do is the Ctrl+K command, then Ctrl+1 or Ctrl+2 based on what level you want. Sorry!

1 Like

Bumper for a much needed request.

Adding to the tread, I would like:

the option to fold/unfold only the lists, a default setup for folding status every time I open a link (like always have unfolded H1 and H2 but the rest of headings and lists folded), and also the bug that when you have checklists folded but you check a checkbox from a different list, all checkboxes unfold.

Maybe a plugin that addresses this issue on the outline section could do, but it should also include the option of folding only lists (and checkboxes).

It really annoys me that the folding and unfolding is not remembered by the system.
I would love to stay folded even if I re-open it.

You will be happy to see that the feature you are requesting is implemented in 0.11.0 according to thread in this link here: Remembering heading and indent collapse in notes

However, this thread is about being able to quickly fold and unfold to a certain level. It is also a thread where some people’s requests for additional types of hot keys as they relate to folding have been merged. See here: Fold/Unfold headings up to specific level hotkeys - #12 by I-d-as . I make this distinction to avoid this thread being closed with this newly implemented feature that you are requesting.

I hope this is not interpreted that I am expecting this to be closed or that I am annoyed my request was merged here. I am just making it clear. I think the moderators do an excellent job on this forum and very much appreciate them!

Thanks.

1 Like

Found this feature request while searching to see if heading-level folding shortcuts had already been requested (e.g. CTRL+1, CTRL+2… CTRL+6) . However I see Santi has done an excellent job of recording the many features associated with folding:

I agree these would be awesome.

3 Likes

+1 for this feature request.
Would love to see this implemented.

1 Like

I would also find this very helpful

1 Like

+1 This would be very helpful!

I also would love this. It’s one of the few bottlenecks in my obsidian workflow

1 Like

Me too. This would be a really essential feature if some clever person can programme a plug in to do it.

+1 for this. it is very necessary and lack of it is troublesome for me.
Also IMO the same can be applied to “outline” core plugin (pane). that plugin can’t even remember the folding and resets every time I close a note.

1 Like

I miss that feature very much.
Fluid navigating through information in longer notes is extremely important - otherwise it’s just 1 huge wall of text restricted by the size of font and monitor.
Folding is one of the important features that actually made me switch to obsidian but I’m hoping it can be improved as it is a bit cumbersome at the moment.

3 Likes

+1 This feature would be a gamechanger!

+1 for this feature.

I am also interested in this.

In the meantime, I discovered the “Creases” plugin. It does a bunch of nifty things (and I’m still discovering most of them!) and it also includes hotkeys for folding/unfolding heading levels incrementally.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting that. I was about to suggest this myself after using the move up / move down commands and finding out they don’t work as expected. (I expected the folded heading to move up and down with its contents.) Nope. It rips the context apart.

An org-mode behaviour would be most desirable. I set my Vim up the same way for folded Markdown and org-mode (I just use it for Notes in Vim and load those into the big Emacs file).

2 Likes

the up and down not moving the content of heading is very annoying, it works with cut and past tho, but it is not smooth.

1 Like

+1 here also. Frustrating that the fold cmd basically collapses everything. It’s essentially ‘all or nothing’ at present so not very useful. Hopefully it can be on the roadmap?
Thanks!