Refactoring of embedded blocks from another note

Fair warning that what follows is quite a bit of a diversion; but, I believe it is nonetheless relevant.

To adapt this hierarchical rearranging technique to fit within Obsidian’s methodology of being capable of but not limited by hierarchy, maybe this feature would be more akin to linking a list item to another, thus dropping an instance. What I am imagining would definitely fit into the way I build out ideas. I had originally tried using Obsidian in this way via actual notes and links by treating the note title like the note itself and arranging hierarchies of links with the benefit of being able to adjust the note’s title and update all links to it. However, this strategy is a recipe for tripping over yourself and feeling lost within an overly complex vault. And that is where this solution shines, since it is contained to just one note.

It would be like a mini vault drafted then defined within the list hierarchies of a note. Each time you link a line to another line, it puts an instance of that line folded directly beneath the chosen one. This instancing moment parallels when you actually create a note from a link in Obsidian.

So technically, after this line linking occurred, you would be free to delete the source line or even the instance because it would be stored as an element of the note. Perhaps a list at the top of the note would contain these elements and act as a note explorer of sorts. And auto suggestions could work for adding it elsewhere within this and other lists while in the note. Of course this is in addition to the drag rearranging feature that this feature request topic is all about in the first place.

And now that we have dragging and dropping of note’s links from file explorer into notes, I don’t see why not to have this ability to lists from within my proposed note explorer, which essentially could just be an adjacent split pane version of the note itself set to filter out all except that definition list.

This definition list could allow list hierarchy adjustment in its own right; however, in this case you would only be moving it around for better organizational structure. Maybe it could have a flat mode toggle with sorting to quickly find what you are looking for. Although I know I have already gone too far, I would be remiss if I didn’t hint of a possibility these element instances may have taggability and back link capacity all restricted to the confines of the note. And this would logically provide an opportunity for an in-note search.

Ok, I’m done. Phew! I know I have ventured far from the original thought and deep into separate feature request/plugin territory, but I am positive that the original poster does not mind, so I will leave this here for now.

Anyways, thanks for the positive responses to the original idea, now back to discussion about that, since, depending on any response, I may start a new request.

Thank you to the developers, plugin creators, and theme makers for collectively creating a tool that itself is crystallizing into the obsidian of knowledge tools.

1 Like

This sounds like the original request Rearrange parts of note combined with already existing methods for block references/transclusions and copying/quoting.
and maybe (to come) WYSIWYG in order to see tranclusions and edit at the same time.
Reference: Inline Images in Editor (WYSIWYG Lite)

Edit: Applied to post above:

• above mentioned ‟definition list”/‟elements of the note” being the original blocks (e.g. with ‟ ^block-id” attached).
  • ‟instances” being links in form ‟[[#^block-id]]
  • transcluded blocks optionally shown between lines of ‟source code” in edit mode for convenience to see them while editing as discussed in thread for ‟WYSIWYG Lite”.
  • plus a plugin which moves ‟source line” into (hidden) ‟definition list”, assigns block-id and leaves ‟[[#^block-id]]” in original place.
  • flattening works in some ‟bugs” now, so it can implemented as intentional too.
  • Alternatively, footnotes could be used instead of block-references if they can be transcluded.
1 Like

Thanks @malecjan but it is not exactly that. Here are some differences that I don’t think are achieved with the combination of features you mentioned. I mean, broad strokes it is along the lines of and probably inspired by part of what you mentioned, but I believe the workflow would be completely unique and sandboxed from rest of vault.

(Only while in note with a definition list created in note with ability to drag drop instances)

(The filtered note version to achieve definition list. Elements with ability to tag and achieve backlink functionality contained to within the note. Search limited to these special elements and tags contained to one note.)

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate you looking over the idea and trying to summarize it, as unfortunately it definitely is a bit of a doozy.

(I don’t see editable transclusions being needed for what I envision but could make the editing process easier. I kind of thought clicking into the instances would bring you to the source element within definition list where edits would affect all instances. In practice, I do see the instances’ context being explained by separate list items folded within or above or adjacent to the instance.)

I may try to re edit my description in a new request so that there is a bit more clarity. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

@I-d-as I moved this to a separate thread since your request goes beyond reorganizing the contents of a single note. I made the title the best I could out of what I understood from your description, but feel free to edit that.

1 Like

Much appreciated. I will try not let this happen again unless I am going to edit it right away into a separate feature request. I constantly have this problem of keeping things contained to one idea which is part of the reason Obsidian’s design philosophy has been so beneficial for me.

Thanks.

Edited the post above ↑ to explain how I meant pairing/combining methods to fulfill your request.

1 Like