Reading view: Embedded links cant be folded/unfolded

Steps to reproduce

I have a note with several embedded notes e.g. ![[day_1]] and ![[day_2]
I can fold/unfold each embedded note in editor mode but when switching to reading mode, all notes will be unfolded and can’t be fold.
Normal tabs can be fold/unfold in reading mode.
This happens on Linux + Android.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y]

Yes

Expected result

In reading mode, let me fold/unfold embedded links just like any other fold/unfold tab.

Actual result

Embedded links can’t be fold and are all unfold.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.5
Installer version: v1.3.7
Operating system: #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu, 24 Aug 2023 00:38:14 +0000 6.4.12-arch1-1
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

1 Like

Can you give more detail?

I don’t know of a way to fold an embed by itself. If I have an embed under a heading, I can fold that in reading view.

And if I embed a note that contains headings, I can fold those headings in reading view, too.

(This is all on iOS.)

Alright so,

I have the following notes:

• Main
  • Sub_1
  • Sub_2

Main contains:

Sub 1:
![[Sub_1]]

Sub 2:
![[Sub_2]]

Each sub note contains a random text.
I can fold/unfold the Sub 1 +2 in the Main note as long as I am in editor mode.
Once I switch to reading mode, the notes will automatically get fully unfolded and there is no way to fold/unfold anymore. The small arrow that turns up next to the embedded field doesn’t show up in reading more.

Do you want me to make a screen recorder video?

I copied your example using the copy button on the code block and pasted it into a note, replacing the embeds with ones for notes I have, and was not able to fold.

Are you putting spaces (even 1 space) before the embeds, like this?

Sub 1:
  ![[Sub_1]]

Sub 2:
  ![[Sub_2]]

That makes them foldable (because that’s what Obsidian does with indented text), and the folding disappears in reading mode because the spaces are ignored (in Markdown, 4 spaces of indentation marks a code block if it’s not a sub list; <4 spaces means nothing and is ignored when rendered).

I have put a tab before the ![[Sub_1]] to make it foldable in editor mode.

So I understand that in reading mode, the tab / space gets ignored and there for is not foldable anymore.
Is there anything else (besides a space or a tab) I can add to make it foldable while not being ignore in reading mode? I understood that more than 4 spaces should work but that doesn’t work for me.

Putting a tab before the embed marks it as a code block (note the extra gray line that appears to its left in the default theme, which doesn’t appear if you only indent by 3 spaces). That shouldn’t work — I’d say it’s a bug that it does.

Folding is supported for headings and lists. So you could make the text above the embed a heading if that’s appropriate, or make that text a list item and the embed a sublist item.

Or a callout might be more appropriate for your use case. They’re a little non-standard, but GitHub recognizes some of them now so they may be spreading, and they render as block quotes in apps that don’t recognize them. Callouts - Obsidian Help

Thank you. Adding 6x “#” infront of the text (to make it a small header) works best & like a charm.
I didn’t realize that using tabs would mark something as a code block.
Now I have to re-do all of it :smiley:

Tbh, using a tab in the text makes it look more appealing and easier to read in a big list though.
By using just 1x space it is a lot harder to notice that the next line is moved more to the right.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.