"Readable line length" in Markdown preview only

Feature request

Make it possible to toggle “readable line length” for the editor and markdown preview independently.

I have readable line length on in previews as this reads more pleasantly, but my workflow when writing content is different. When writing, I find that sticking to one sentence per line has many benefits, but these are partially lost with forced linewrapping.

Workaround

With “Readable line length” enabled, I’ve found that the following CSS will return the editor to full width:

div.markdown-source-view.is-readable-line-width > div.CodeMirror.cm-s-obsidian.CodeMirror-wrap {
  max-width: 100%;
}

As such, this feature request shouldn’t warrant much priority. However, my main concern is that this CSS will ultimately break with some future update, so official support for this would still be desirable.

5 Likes

I see what you mean. I have been looking for this too.

Thanks for your workaround, which was exactly what I failed to do after trying to figure out which div to manipulate. :smiley:

This change makes it more Remnote-ish, which I found I used for taking notes because I simply could get more on the screen at a time.

Use case or problem

I often make plans for specific things that I need to work on. It can include all sort of things like lists, code blocks etc. I also use the vim keys to write so that I have to do less context switching. Because of this I turn off the Readable line length and Line wrap options since it can make text navigation a bit weird (for me anyway).

While this all works perfectly I think it would be nice to have the option to enable the Readable line length option while in markdown preview mode, since it does make reading notes much nicer… I’ve not found a way to implement this with custom CSS and as far as I can tell there aren’t any plugins that enable this either (sorry if there are and I simply missed them).

Proposed solution

Add an option that automatically toggles on Readable line length when switching to preview mode.

4 Likes

+1 to this

i have the same problem, i thought it is a issue with minimal theme i am using. but now i realized that it is working in preview mode and is related to new live preview mode.