Quick capture prompt

Use case or problem

Obsidian as a note-taking app, in my opinion, is lacking in the quick capture department. I know there are many solutions to this problem, but all of them have their drawbacks :

• quick capture plugins (quickadd, lumberkack, templater) they require you to open the app
  • Syncing plugins, they require you to sync the notes manually
  • Embedding plugins, they require you to copy the information to obsidian
  • launcher scripts (raycast and alfred), they only work in desktop

A truly integrated solution would not only work in desktop and in mobile version, but could even be improved by already published plugins, which will remove the need for another app.

Proposed solution

Open only a prompt where you enter text without opening the app, while still providing the features required (autocompletion, formatting…) and you can choose either to create a new note or append to an existing one. Just like other note-taking apps (evernote or apple notes).

In mobile app, the prompt could be called from the menu you get when you long press the app icon.

Related feature requests (optional)

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/quick-capture-notification-bar-for-obsidian-mobile/34297

5 Likes

A workaround for now: If you’re using Apple devices (as it appears), you can use Shortcuts to do this. It won’t do autocompletion or Markdown rendering; if that’s a dealbreaker you could have the shortcut make a new note and open it in Obsidian for you to type in. Appending to an existing note might be a little clunky because you’ll have to use the Files picker to choose the note.

That would be nice!

1 Like

You’re right, shortcuts works on mobile and desktop if you have Apple devices. I myself use android, so I have to set up a custom shortcut on android and a different one on desktop and change both of them if I change my setup (not ideal).

I’m not particularly looking for any workaround as much as I want an integrated solution to this. I do appreciate your suggestion, though, thank you.

There might be a feature request you could upvote. The equivalent feature eventually came to the iOS version.

Does Obsidian on PC have software that supports Idea Pills?
Although Obisidan now has a memos plugin, it cannot be separated from the Obsidian window.
I want to have a floating window where I can record ideas at any time on any window on my computer, and this feature is Idea Pills.

This would be very helpful because no matter the platform (I use Linux – Kubuntu, specifically – and Android), Obsidian takes a few seconds before you’re actually at a place where you can start typing (and even then, it opens up to the last note you were working on, but your new thought might have nothing to do with it). It depends on the individual['s settings] how long their vault takes to open up – and only they can decide whether removing plugins, themes, etc. is worth it as a workaround to speed up opening the app. On top of that, if you’re on low-end hardware, it’ll take a while before the actual Obsidian window itself shows up and starts loading your vault[s] (but at that point, even opening a basic or lightweight text file editor will take a couple seconds, so I presume there’s not much that can be done).

Good news is, “mobile quick capture” is a planned item in the Obsidian roadmap! In addition to the menu you get from long-pressing the app icon, I’d like a small 1x1 widget that I place on my home screen – maybe the Obsidian icon with a small plus in the corner – so that I can just tap once and start typing.