Questions to ask your Zettelkasten?

Asking questions is always a good choice to increase our knowledge. Now we have Zettelkasten as one of our preferred dialogue partners. And it is fun collaborating with.

What about your personal experiences? What are your best questions to Zettelkasten for starting a conversation?

1 Like

Whom would you prefer to ask this question? The Internet, your Zettelkasten, a human from forum Obsidian or ChatGPT?

Writing this post takes much longer than waiting for an answer. I’m sure this experience will have a big impact on my future Zettelkasten.

What’s your first reaction? Is it a perfect answer?

More about: https://chat.openai.com/chat

I don’t think I’d use it as a source of a perfect answer, but I definitely see it as a brainstorming partner and a way to probe for ideas new to me.

1 Like

Yes, it is definitely a very good brainstorming partner. - But I’m a bit worried about the many posts on the internet that I can’t easily identify as AI generated.

@Edmund a good way that I saw some of its limitations even for brainstorming, is I asked it the question you posed over on the Zettelkasten De forum “What is your preferred metaphor for Zettelkasten? And why?”. The answers it came up for the question are the most popular ones you see on the internet and very generic.

What I wish ChatGPT gave me was interesting metaphors that I haven’t yet considered, such as the ones posted on the forum by all the Zettelkasten De Zettlers! Even when I asked ChatGPT for interesting or unique answers it just gave me variations on zettelkasten as a puzzle metaphor.

1 Like

Yes for sure. :wink:

Here is a summary of my brainstorming with ChatGPD about the question from my sketchnote:

Which types of questions would you ask your Zettelkasten?

It is generally a good idea to start by asking yourself what you are trying to accomplish and what information or resources you have available. This can help you determine the most appropriate tool or resource to use.

Here are some guidelines:

• Ourselves: Helpful to ask ourselves questions and to reflect on our own experiences, knowledge, and perspectives. This can help us to clarify our own thoughts and to better understand our own needs and goals. - However, we may not always have all the information or expertise that we need, and it can be useful to seek input and feedback from others.
  • Google (or other search engines): Useful for finding specific pieces of information or for quickly accessing a wide range of sources on a particular topic. They can be particularly helpful for tasks that require a large volume of information or for tasks that require access to a broad range of sources. - However, they may not always provide the most relevant or reliable information, and they may not always be able to understand the context or intended use of the information being sought.
  • ChatGPD (or other artificial intelligence tools): Useful for quickly accessing information and for answering straightforward questions. They can also be helpful for generating ideas and for brainstorming, as they can provide a diverse range of perspectives and can help to stimulate thinking. - However, they may not always be able to provide in-depth or nuanced responses, and they may not always be able to understand the context or intended use of the information being sought.
  • Human experts: Provide valuable insights and perspectives that may not be readily available through other sources. They can be particularly helpful for tasks that require specialized knowledge or for tasks that involve complex or nuanced concepts. - However, it may not always be possible or practical to access an expert on a particular topic, and experts may not always be able to provide a broad range of information or perspectives.
  • Zettelkasten (or other note-taking systems): Helpful for synthesizing and organizing ideas and for making connections between different pieces of information. They can be particularly useful for tasks that require a high level of organization or for tasks that involve complex or interrelated concepts. - However, they may not always be the most efficient tool for finding specific pieces of information or for quickly accessing a wide range of sources.

My personal learning: An AI tool does not always provide a perfect answer. But it can help to ask better questions.

I asked chatGPT for “uncommon” metaphors, and these were less common than the usual.

1 Like

Thank you for the „uncommon“ hint. As a sketchnoter my favorite is „a symphony of visual concepts“. :+1::clap:

And, as a guy looking at the star, my favorite is “a constellation of notes”, which is I think a really good description, and really talkative ^^

( By the way : Thanks for this forum’s question )

1 Like