Preview mode text copy does not copy entire selection

Steps to reproduce

Create a note that has various headings and is quite long. (My note in question has around 50,000 characters and has some text formatted in the code style, although I doubt that matters.)

Go into Preview Mode. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C.

Paste into word processor.

Expected result

I expect it to paste the entire selection.

Actual result

It only pastes the last 1000 characters give or take a few. They are properly formatted though. (When I do the same steps in edit mode, it pastes the entire selection.)

Thanks in advance for the help. Very much appreciated.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: v0.8.2

Additional information

5 Likes

Just tested on 0.8.4 with 46000+ characters note. In fact, I can’t copy anything from Preview Mode with Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, nothing gets into clipboard. I have to select specific portions of text to copy styles from Obsidian over to a word processor. Even then, it seems that random pieces of text get deselected after being selected with a mouse, e.g. instead of copying five sections of text only two last get copied etc.

Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C from Edit Mode works as expected.

3 Likes

we are changing the preview engine. Let me know if you still have this problem in 0.8.5.

Sorry to say, the issue is still there as described above.

1 Like

I still have this issue also. Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to copy all text works fine in edit mode, but often loses most of the text in preview mode.

One additional bug that seems closely related - in preview mode, select text, and scroll up/down and then back again. The text will unselect as it scrolls out of view.

1 Like

Yes, there was a recent change to the app where in preview mode, if a section is not in the view port, it’s not being rendered, so if you try to select a long note, you’ll lose what’s at the beginning as you scroll. Very frustrating.

1 Like

I think this change made the problem worse (see my prior post).

A fix will be available for v0.8.12

1 Like

Hello,

I was hoping for it to be fixed in 0.8.12 but I still seem to be experiencing the issue. Just wanted to report this.

Thanks for all your hard work.

1 Like

THis has been postponed to 0.8.13

1 Like

Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C still don’t work in 0.8.14, but I’m able to manually select all the text in Preview mode and then copy it over into e.g. MS Word.

Kindly fix the Ctrl+A behavior which selects both the text and the note title, this might be the reason for the text not getting copied.

1 Like

that’s another bug which is already open

Sorry to say, the issue is still there as described. 0.12.3 version

1 Like