Prevent New File Creation On Clicking

What I’m trying to do

I want Obsidian to stop creating new files automatically if I click on a link that doesn’t exist. The reason is, that there might be a lot of links from Zettlr, that work with ID and are not mappable for Obsidian. However, I do not want Obsidian to create a new file, but would prefer - if the link isn’t found - to just manually search for the ID in the overall search and “manually move” to the respective already existing file.

Is it possible to turn the automatic file creation for links to non-existing files off?

Things I have tried

I’ve searched the forum (e.g. here)
and asked in Discord, but couldn’t find an answer.

There isn’t a setting for that. There might be a plugin, but I don’t know of one offhand.

Are you using Zettlr along with Obsidian, or did you move from Obsidian to Zettlr?

Thank you for the reply!
I am moving from Zettlr to Obsidian (but would like to keep Zettlr as fallback), however there’s a lot of things that do not seem to match.

Links that point to notes that don’t yet exist are usually shown with muted contrast, or they can be given a distinct colour of their own using a css snippet.

.markdown-source-view.mod-cm6 .is-unresolved .cm-underline {
    color: blueviolet;
}

So users should know before they click on a link whether a note exists or not. To edit a link without following the link or creating a new note, hold the OPTION key down while clicking on the link.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.