Prevent closing certain (non-note) tabs altogether

Use case or problem

Note tabs, which live in the middle of my layout, come and go. I open and close them at will and don’t want any friction there.

However, the auxiliary views — outgoing/incoming links, local graph, files, bookmarks — do not come and go. I always want them open, and will never intentionally close them.

However sometimes the left or right sidebar gain focus without me being aware of it, and I press ⌘W, and poof there goes a view I really didn’t want to lose. Yes I can reopen it, but it’s inconvenient especially considering I never want to close these auxiliary views.

Proposed solution

It would be great if Obsidian could mark auxiliary tabs as un-closable somehow (maybe just “right click > lock”, or similar) so that pressing ⌘W on them would be a no-op (and maybe show a notification saying why it’s a no-op).

Current workaround (optional)

Press ⌘T, but that doesn’t restore the original state of the just-closed view. It also makes me re-drag it back to where it was.

Related feature requests (optional)

1 Like

You can pin normal tabs, and I think you can pin note tabs that are in the sidebar, so what’s missing is the ability to pin other sidebar tabs.

Actually it’s not missing, just hidden — focus the sidebar tab you want to pin, then open the command pallete, type “pin”, and select “Toggle pin”. A pin icon will appear on the tab, and it should be prevented from closing.

So what would be nice is including “pin” in the context menu of those tabs, like it is on note tabs.

Ugh, never mind — Command W closes the tab even when it’s pinned. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

2 Likes