Plugin : CardBoard (a kanban for your markdown tasks)

…(hopefully) helping to make working with tasks in obsidian a pleasure…

So, what is CardBoard? I hear you ask…

Well, if you’re anything like me (somewhat disorganized) with tasks spread all higgledy piggledy throughout your vault that you loose track of and you also have a particular penchant for kanban-syle boards, then you probably should give it a look.

You may also find it useful if you are more organized than I am, but if you really don’t like kanban-style boards then I would probably steer clear!

Daily notes support is built in, plus you can use #tags to define custom boards. It handles sub-tasks and task notes (just indent stuff under a task).

More info in the Readme and more features to come. I hope you find pleasure in using it :slight_smile:

You can find it under the community plugins in obsidian. And a big big thank you to @darthmachina and @stufro for learning some elm and contributing!

12 Likes

I think this plugin fell under the radar. As an occasional user of the Kanban Plugin, Cardboard very quickly took over my Kanban needs over the past few days.

They solve different problems, but for my use-case CardBoard is a great way to be able to tag tasks throughout my vault and then quickly step back and be able to get an overview.

Still figuring out how to include it in my workflow, but sure I’ll be back with pesky feature requests soon :grin:

Thanks a lot for sharing @rupert !

np & thanks - look forward to your thoughts/suggestions :slight_smile:

…currently working on using filters when setting up boards to restrict them to specified files, paths, or tags. And have a couple of pull requests waiting to be merged too (thanks to @darthmachina).

Hey folks - CardBoard 0.3.2 has just been released.

Board Filters have arrived (as well as support for front matter tags and loads of refactoring under the hood). Board Filters allow you to use file, path, and tag filters to control which tasks go on which board.

Screenshot 2021-12-23 at 20.56.28

If you’ve not come across CardBoard before, I built it to help me manage my markdown tasks:

• You can keep your tasks wherever you like in your vault.
  • You can view them on kanban style boards.
  • Use regular tasks and subtasks.
  • Two board types are supported:
    • Date based (with daily/periodic notes support).
    • Tag based (use #tags to define your boards - including front matter tags).

Enjoy and Happy Christmas

9 Likes

I’m enjoying the plug-in; it fits my workflow a lot better than the kanban plugin.

One issue that is bothering me is that when clicking the icon to open the board on the sidebar, it would open the panel to take the entire area, closing the current open note.

After nearly a year - I’ve just dropped another release :slight_smile:

Nothing major, mostly some bug fixes (and the requisite refactoring)

• Fixes layout issues (top of boards were hiding under the page heading bar)
  • Tags are now parsed in the same way as obsidian - thanks @darthmachina
  • Completed count setting now works on Tag Boards - thanks Stu Frost

Hopefully something more like new features next time (and hopefully sooner than in 9 months time)

3 Likes

On a roll here… another couple of releases, bringing things up to the dizzy heights of v0.4.1:

New Features

• Board filters can be used as either an Allow (previous behavior) or a Deny (new behavior) list.
  • Boards can now be scaled using a CSS snippet.

Bug Fixes

• task block links are no longer removed when marking tasks as completed on the board
  • the task item line is no longer altered any more than it needs to be when marking tasks as completed (or un-marking them)
  • an obscure issue with the settings dialog fixed!
2 Likes

if the plugin allows drag and drop card, allows embedding into note and create column based on header that would be perfect !

2 Likes

Out of those, drag and drop is the closest to being started as it would make a big difference to my workflow too!

3 Likes

good to hear!

…another new feature added; the ability to hide tags used in the definition of boards:

• For both date and tag boards, if you specify any tags in the filters there is now a setting to show/hide these tags on the cards on the board.
  • For tag boards, there is now a setting to show/hide the tags used to define the board columns on all cards on the board. The tags are hidden wherever the card is on the board.

For both of these, only tags which exactly match are hidden.

1 Like

Just found this plugin. Looks super useful. Am I going to run into any conflicts with the Tasks plugin? I rely pretty heavily on it.

Great plugin, thank you !

I have only have one issue: When opening CardBoard, it always open in a new split pane on the right, even if no file is open. I would prefer to have it open in full width like when opening Graph view. Can I suggest this fix ?

I’m pretty new to Obsidian tho, I might have missed something (but I can’t find anything related in the Obsidian settings).

CardBoard uses a different format for specifying dates (e.g. due and completion) and it has no concept of Scheduled or Start dates…

However, I am currently working on improving (some of) this - as well as supporting other formats (i.e. dataview). The next release will be able to read due and completion dates specified in Tasks format as well as giving the option to use Tasks format for marking tasks complete. I plan to look at dataview after this.

Supporting of Start/Scheduled dates will take a while longer as I haven’t worked out how this will work yet as there is no concept of these in CardBoard at all!

I plan/hope to have the next release out in the next week.

3 Likes

Thanks - I’ve never been that happy with the way CardBoard opens and I haven’t re-looked at it recently! If you could stick an issue on the CardBoard github list that would be fab. I have added it to my internal todo list as something to look at as well :slight_smile:

Excellent. I’ll give it a test once it’s out. Thanks. Great plugin.

1 Like

I used this a while ago. The problem I had at the time was that there was no way to refresh the calendar and so if I changed an item in outlook it wasn’t reflected in the calendar plugin display. Anyone know if this now updates?

I was about to do so, but checked Obsidian version and updated from v0.15.9 to v1.0.
Problem solved: Cardboard opens in a new tab ! I’m happy :slight_smile:

Fab - it’s great when something is fixed without having to do anything :slight_smile:

Hi @pshev - not sure what you mean here I’m afraid, if you could share a screenshot of what you mean re: the calendar plugin that would be really handy. Many thanks!