Please provide the ability to interact with the Obsidian trash directly through the application

Another obvious problem, in my opinion, concerns the Obsidian trash. Since you have already implemented it, please provide the ability to interact with it directly through the application. Currently, it just exists on its own, and all files are sent there after deletion (of course, if you use Obsidian trash; not the system trash, which is only relevant for the desktop version; or permanent deletion). All these files take up space, and it’s impossible to delete or restore them through the application. Of course, you can interact with them through any file manager (on Unix systems, after enabling the display of hidden folders and files). But this is absolutely impractical. There is, of course, the Obsidian Trash Explorer extension, which completely addresses this need, but it’s an extension, and it appeared not so long ago, considering the age of the application. It’s surprising that basic things implemented in the application are not fully implemented, and this needs to be addressed through extensions.

Of course, I’m generally satisfied with the application in its current state. I have been using it since version 0., for more than 3 years. But starting from version 1.0, which should be considered fully ready, all these elementary nuances are not being fixed. It’s good that new features like the advertised Canvas appear, and you spend a lot of time on them, but against the backdrop of the lack of support for basic capabilities, it looks very strange.

Simply put, when someone tells me that they are not satisfied with Google Keep or OneNote, etc., and I recommend trying Obsidian and start explaining that you also have to install several extensions to cover basic needs, at that moment they already start to be satisfied with Google Keep, OneNote… where everything is there by default. Many people just need a basic note taker that has all the basic functions built in, and they don’t have to search and install anything additionally. This is a significant portion of potential users who will although use the application for free without subscriptions, but inadvertently will popularize it and, in turn, attract an even larger audience. Because the current implementation, where everything is through extensions, reminds me of GNOME, which in its basic version is absolutely impractical for the average user. Something similar here.

Hallelujah. In total, it’s been almost 4 years since the request was published :grimacing:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.