Per folder sort settings?

While I want my sort settings for most folders to be by modification date, for the Daily Journal folder I would like items filed by filename. This keeps the journal entries in chronological order. Wondering if it would be possible to have this folders sort different from the other folders?

15 Likes

A template per folder (none by default) would be nice too!

2 Likes

I wonder if we could make some folder special to have that, like the current attachments folder, having a special “journal” folder might work for that case

1 Like

I 100% agree. I haven’t entirely moved to Markdown yet, but I definitely need some way to manually sort notes, or at least have different options.

With Alphabetical sort (A - Z), I think I expected 2020-06 to appear above 2020-06-01, and Lorem above Lorem – Ipsum, but they don’t. I’d like to be able to change that, and also sort by date created as well as modified. EDIT: not sure when this changed but A-Z sorted files are now appearing how I originally expected.

1 Like

Still not resolved yet?
Also see https://forum.obsidian.md/t/ability-to-sort-different-folders-differently

2 Likes

I too would like to see this implemented or at least commented on by the Devs.

Hi,

scanning older threads on forum I came across this one.
As I understand, you need to set a specific sort order for selected folder(s). If I get the intention right, the plugin which I created and mentioned here could be a perfect fit

Couldn’t agree more - and this is exactly the use case that warrants it.

I love seeing my most recently modified notes at the top of my main folder - but as you say, for daily notes it would be so much better by filename.

Really hope this can be addressed - would be so great.

EDIT - only just seen the recco to use the CUSTOM FILE EXPLORER SORTING plugin - and it works a treat! Although I still think it would be great if this was core functionality, this is a great and very flexible workaround