Password protect / lock folder / Encryption at rest

Would GPG style encryption work here? Maybe something like how https://www.passwordstore.org works?

There is now a plug-in to encrypt portions of a note within Obsidian. See it here: GitHub - meld-cp/obsidian-encrypt: Hide secrets in your Obsidian.md vault or in the Community Plugins: ā€œMeld Encryptā€

9 Likes

This works great for me! Its nice that the decrypt part shows a popup and keeps the data encrypted.

@fourteen

What would be the best way to encrypt a vault?

I wrote a little Howto here:

Might give you some inspirationā€¦
And obsidian has a service as well for end-2-end encryption which I personally also consider to use as soon as my vault gets more used.

Considering encrypting a single page or part of a page it could be consider an infile encryption like they are using with eYaml, example:

obsidian has a service as well for end-2-end encryption

Wait, really? How do I enable this?

Itā€™s the Obsidian Sync service.

See Sync: Pricing - Obsidian

Does someone work with boxcryptor on android phone ? With markor for example ?

My impression was Boxcryptor couldnā€™t do what I needed on Android with Markor. Would be interested to learn otherwise, if you figure it out.

I would love to selectively encrypt files and folders as well in obsidian in order to encrypt some sensitive information (wouldnā€™t want to have my bank account number, SSN, etc out in the open)

2 Likes

Yes, selective encryption would be a brilliant addition.

Platform

[ ] iOS
[x] Android

Currently the vault is saved in plane text in the share folder. I understand, that this is nessesary to offer sync with third pary ( maybe even nessesary for your sync), however this gives all apps access to my partly very private notes. Which is unacceptible. At this point i cant use the mobile app with a good feeling.

Possible Fix / Feature:

Save the Vault in the Aplication storage, where it is protectet by android sandboxing. You can then safe an optional ā€œbackupā€ / sync dummy to the shared file system which can be used by external programs. To make this option usefull, this backup file should be encrypted by a user set password. Idealy in a file based manner, so that only changed files will be synct.

For the desktop app you could add the same feature.

1 Like

Hi @Diamant please search the forum before making a new feature request. Iā€™ve merged your request here.

I hope we can easily use password to encrypt any file to protect our private info ; the folder could be a good target to encrypt ;

• Add password to folders
  • Lock and unlock folders
  • Change password of folders
  • Remove password of folders

The encrypt file in the disk could be a zip file , that could make it easy to edit without obsidian ,and also easy to implement in different systems.

3 Likes

The interface example could be something like Onenote , that is enough for me .

1 Like

Iā€™d really like to see in-app encryption at rest that functions across platforms. No wonky workarounds, no OS dependant 3rd party solutions, and no snarky responses. Oi vey, the snarky responses! This isnā€™t a crazy ask, in and of itself, even if itā€™s not possible for some reason.

Would it be applicable for all possible threat models? Of course not, but itā€™d add a huge layer of security for most general users, upping the difficulty of malicious decryption from an ā€œopen the text fileā€ level.

3 Likes

Personally for me this is the most important functionality that Obsidian is missing.

1- The encryption system should not depend on external plugins, a specific OS or need complex configurations.
2- Ideally it should work with the biometric systems of smartphones (faceID and fingerprint).
3- Give the option to encrypt a whole Vault or just a folder/file.

4 Likes