Paprika Recipes > Obsidian > Dataview recipe manager

I’ve been looking for a while at moving my recipe database out of Paprika Recipe Manager. After trying out a bunch of different self-hosted options like Tandoor, I didn’t find anything I really liked, so was stuck still using it. That was, until I migrated my md notes recently to Obsidian and stumbled upon this cool thread with some really nice ideas and DataView demos.

I decided to write a script to move my recipes into Markdown. I’ve uploaded the results to a GitHub repo with a fairly decent set of instructions on how to use it.

You can choose and edit the templates and make your recipes into whatever you want them to be. It should also be fairly straightforward to program this for other recipe managers as well. I’ve also included a plain markdown template and a YML only template if folks don’t want to use Dataview/Obsidian.

I hope other recipe/cooking tech fans can help create an even better Markdown recipe manager using just YML frontmatter and Dataview/DataviewJS. It’s already looking pretty good, but it could be even better/more useful.

Eventually I’d like to be able to import recipes from a page into a Markdown note, without the use of Paprika.

It’ll work pretty much out of the box and supports recipe scaling and hiding empty elements.

Rendered markdown:

YML:

Dataview Code:

4 Likes

2 next big tasks are:

  • [ ] Get a column view working with the DataviewJS to make the view a bit less linear
  • [ ] Get some nice Dataviews set up to add to the demo vault.

Any advice, suggestions on either of those would be super welcome!

Your github repo link points back to the forum post here.

Doh, shucks that’s not a good start. Here is the CORRECT GITHUB LINK. Couldn’t see a way to edit the original post unfortunately.

If any admins have more permissions and can update the original post, I’d be more than happy, no problem if not!

yep, your link is updated now

1 Like

I just wanted to give a huge thank you for creating this repo. I have all my recipes currently in Paprika and thought it would be really interesting to Obsidian-ize them. Lo and behold, someone else beat me to it!

This looks super interesting… I was in the process of thinking of rewriting some of my recipes in cooklang maybe this is a better way of doing it.

Good to hear @Quinn_McHugh and @kmf! Hadn’t had any response on this and just assumed it was a bit too niche for folks to want to use!

@kmf I did have a look into cooklang and while I think it’s a really interesting project, the thought of manually converting all my 600+ recipes wasn’t really appealing. As the ingredient conversion is still fairly simplistic as I didn’t have time to look into the AI option. You’ll have to go through and check the ingredients in each recipe, but this is optional, the conversions will still work without it, just there’ll be less scaling functionality. I found about 1/4 of the recipes needed some tweaking, and I’m now in the habit of doing that when I add a recipe to Paprika.

I have added a button to the template file which allows you to edit the metadata but honestly it’s not much more work (or complexity) to just edit the metadata. The functionality requires the MetaEdit and Buttons plugins. I may update the templates at some point.

This is the code:

name Edit Recipe
type command
action MetaEdit: Run MetaEdit
id EditMetaData

And if anybody has any suggestions/improvements I’m happy to hear them here or as GitHub issues. Cheers!

jt196 this looks great. I’ve 833 recipes in Paprika that I’ve been wanting to migrate to Obsidian and the only way I had was manual cut and paste, which I’d never have time for, so thank you!

I’ve been playing with this for a lot of today and it’s not quite ready for me to move everything over to Obsidian. I’ve identified what I think are some of the issues, but I know nothing about Python so may be mistaken, but I did have my son weigh in and he knows some Python.

  1. The script stopped whenever it encountered a recipe that didn’t have a photo attached in Paprika. My son changed the script to fix this. Let me know if you would like more details.

  2. In parsing the ingredients, directions and notes, the script trips up when it encounters certain characters. The ones I found include what’s typically known as the “Right Double Quotation Mark”. It’s this symbol: ” . They are more curved than the ones generated by my keyboard, when hitting Shift and the key next to Enter: " , which seem to be just called “Quotation Marks”. Replacing these fixes the issue.

Another one looked like the degree symbol, but a little more elongated. A proper degree symbol can be entered using Alt-0176 and replacing again fixes the issue.

  1. Some of my recipes had a forward slash within the recipe name, in cases where there was more than one name typically used for the recipe. Obviously forward slashes aren’t going to work within a file name, so I replaced these with “or”.

I hope this helps if you want to develop this plugin further and I hope that you do.

1 Like