Option in command palette and context menu to "move file"

Just want to second this request again: I am reaching the point where I can’t drag & drop a file (directly) from one folder to another folder within the vault anymore, because no scrolling while dragging. And doing this outside Obsidian does not update links.

Plus hotkey / command (as in Dynalist) would be great.

1 Like

That is indeed something I mentioned too.
Needed to do this in Finder (OSX)

+1 on this - I create multiple notes per day usually, in one ‘buffer’ directory, and then have to move them end of day. Don’t want to break links, and have reached the point that I usually need to scroll when dragging and dropping. Pretty stuck on this sometimes.

Would seriously improve workflow to have this in the command palette! :slight_smile:

+1 to This

Now is not possible for me to move notes, so I do it externally in a dual pane-file manager

Alternatives to “option in command palette” I would love to have :slight_smile:

1.Move the current openened note into a folder, dragging the title into the folder
2.Two instances of the file explorer to drag things (files, directories) around

Would it be possible to implement this with the new Plugins API? I don’t have the chops but wanted to float the idea. #plugins

+1 for this, this is needed for large vaults

+1 bumping this up now that I’m exploring using sub-vaults for projects (having everything show up in auto-complete + file name conflicts are the reason).

1 Like

My challenge is the drag/drop as the only mechanism to move is hampered by any large folder, when you can’t get the scroll window to move when dragging. I find I have to try a few times, collapse all other folders, hope the top level at least is within view, then drag it there to start - then go into that folder and refine. If want to avoid changing the folder view, would prefer a separate ‘move dialog’ that is quickly accessible (right click, and hot key). Thanks.

1 Like

When editing a file I sometimes want to move it to another folder to make its location reflect its new content. If I don’t remember where the file is located, or my Vault contains a lot of files, it is cumbersome to locate it manually in the File Explorer.

A “move file” command would help in this case. It may be worthwhile to allow the file to be renamed in the same dialog.

5 Likes

It’s very difficult to change the location of the document I have opened, so it would be nice if from the opened note, I could move it to a different folder.

Right now, it seems the only way is to locate it in the folder it’s in, then to drag it and place it into the other folder I want it in. If there’s a menu option (like with the 3 dot menu in the open note) that let you “move” or “change location”, that would be really awesome.

This feature would help it be a better productivity app for me, so hope you guys consider it/are considering it!

4 Likes

I’ll throw my vote for this, too. It would be super useful to me as I use folders to create “sub-vaults”.

A related helpful feature would be to reveal the file in the Finder on Mac (and whatever is the equivalent in Windows and Linux), as that would allow file management outside of Obsidian as well. For example, if there multiple files need to be moved, renamed, etc.

1 Like

I believe “reveal the file in the Finder” is already a feature. You can find it in “More options > Show in folder”. I just did it now and it opened the folder in Finder for me.

(Though, I’ll admit that “Show in Folder” is a little confusing of a name since it’s not clear if it’s a “Finder folder” or an “Obsidian folder”.)

1 Like

It would be awesome to count with an icon ‘Select opened file’, almost all major IDEs have it.

You are correct, thank you for sharing this!

The OP’s feature request remains open.

1 Like

Drag and drop support and a command in the command palette will be added in 0.9.21

4 Likes

Apologies, I assume this has been implemented somehow, but I just can’t find it. I followed a few threads to get here. Is there a way I am missing?

Had the same problem and found this solution:
Go to settings > Core plugins > Switch on “File explorer”

1 Like

Thanks! That’s the trick.

I do this every day repeatedly.

1.Cmd+P to enter command palette
2. Type “move current file”
3. I’m the text box, type parts of the path where you want to move the file to

Bonus points if you create a keyboard shortcut for this but these steps have been good enough for me.

I am writing this from my phone without trying. So your mileage may vary