Option in command palette and context menu to "move file"

Have you actually tested that?

I’ve seen that put about but I’ve never had a link broken, and I use it extensively.

I don’t use absolute paths, and I do have unique file names.

@Dor: if you don’t have a lot of files to move, which is most of the time, a right-click or hotkey option is easier.

Yeah, I’ve nothing against it being an option, but since some people needed to move a lot of files, I was just pointing out that it could be done easily in the OS.

And that would probably remain the case even with right-click in the Obsidian Explorer.

2 Likes

@Dor: good point.

1 Like

Management with hundreds and thousands and notes become tedious.
Some people use single folders for their zettels but for me is easier to put them into loose folders based on category.

Solution for note management would be an option to add to right-click menu “Move to the folder …” option, and the suggestion based what the user type should appear

For example, this could solve my previous problem (I will not edit it for historic reason)

Not sure if bug or feature request.
I could only move note by dropping it on the root folder icon in the top of the tree, I cannot drag and drop among other notes on the root level (So by droping it on the note 2 or on an empty space)

root

• folder
  • Note1 (inside folder)
    Note2
13 Likes

I understand and agree.

I agree with the issue itself. Two tips about posting:

1. If you’re not sure if it’s a bug report or feature request, in 95% cases it’s a feature request :wink:;

2. Actionable feature requests get more love – it’s hard to define what counts as “intuitive”, but if you can reword it to “fast” or “easy” and propose your use case or solution, that would help a lot.

1 Like

Thanks for feedback!

Maybe more general request (I will edit title too) adding to notes kind of rudimentary file manager as right click option “Move to folder …”
This could be turned on and off in the setting.

5 Likes

Much much better, thank you!

2 Likes

Agree to this, I found myself wanting to move a file to the root folder but couldn’t.

This feature would be nice but in most cases I’m fine with using the os file manager, especially for more complicated changes

Moving the files in file manager not always wil be reflected in changes in obsidian link

Strongly agree, I don’t even have hundreds of notes and its already becoming cumbersome to move notes to specific folders.

2 Likes

Also possibility to use shift or ctrl/cmd to move more than one note could be beneficial

1 Like

+1 Would be very handy - I also use a light folder structure for my notes.

+1 for copy/move/paste file in right click menu

it could also be useful to :

• introduce a SPLIT view for the explorer pane (horizontal split) so that it’s easier to get to the bottom of a long file list
  • or allow multiple file explorer tabs to be opened and enable drag n drop between them
2 Likes

I actually would like to be able to move files with drag&drop - but properly. That means it should work with a long list of files where my destination is outside the screen and needs to be scrolled to while dragging. This does not work currently and to me looks like a standard functionality.

Another request in this regard had been made and got merged into this issue. But it’s hard to see/recognize so I’m repeating the request explicitly.

Yes! I always struggle to move files. With a hotkey this would be super efficient.

Yes please! “Move To” hotkey like Dynalist - gimme an autocomplete list of destination folders with path visible.

This has become somewhat tedious at the moment. I am using a MOC-like structure for navigation, but also a categorisation by folder tree of (especially) work stuff that has nice fixed categories, and moving things to the right folder has become annoying already and I only have 600 notes so far.

1 Like

+1 for this. I have 100+ notes and find it difficult to move file. While I can do it in Finder or Terminal, those doesn’t automatically update link reference.