Open to the right: add option to reuse a tab group if there is one already open

Right now, the open to the right command (and ctrl-alt-click) always open a new tab group to the right. This is inconvenient if a user wants to follow a two pane workspace with the main document to the left and a tab group of reference material to the right.

It would be nice to have an option/toggle so that “open to the right” reuses the tab group to the right if one is already present.

8 Likes

Nice idea with me, the canvas will perform this feature better.
Can the Canvas File Card only display Title - Feature requests - Obsidian Forum

1 Like

will be implemented in v1.3.1

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

This was undone in 1.3.4

This is such a useful feature, could this be an option for users to open a new tab on the other existing tab group rather than always create a new tab group?

2 Likes

Please reconsider. This was a really useful and desired feature and I’m sad to see it go. I wish it could be toggled as an option.

3 Likes

Help, it was such a great feature, is there an option to revert it ?

1 Like

I’m so surprised such a great feature was removed! I’ve always needed this tab behavior since first using Obsidian and was happy to see it had been implemented. It’s a shame it was reverted.

Is there any hope it could be added back? Or that we could at least be given an option for it with a separate hotkey and/or the ability to change settings for the “open to the right” behavior?

Thank you!

Why was this changed? Im trying to think but i cant see any benefit to the current behaviour and been missing a lot the praticality of opening on the same group(or even swaping the current show file on the right)

why nobody considers this feature request ?