Open settings in a new tab

Use case or problem

As tabs are supported natively, can we have an option to open the settings in a new tab.

This can help avoid making changes in the settings pane, closing it, checking the changes in the editor and hopping back to the settings pane to make further changes. This will be very helpful when we are updating any settings related to themes as one needs few iterations to get to the desired result

Proposed solution

Open settings in a tab.

Current workaround (optional)

Multiple time opening and closing the settings pane.

16 Likes

Having the settings in a new tab or a modal that can be moved would be nice. As a workaround, I have used a note in a separate windows to watch any changes I make to the settings.

3 Likes

I’ll echo my desire for this; I want to be able to open Obsidian settings within a new window, or a pane, so that I can make changes as I am using other panes and testing settings.

Devs, is this possible at all? Via a plugin or CSS perhaps?

1 Like

I’m bumping this one – it’s weird that the ubiquitous Style Settings plugin adds an option to the command palette to do this (so yes, @simplysolveit - it’s totally possible to open Settings itself, since you can go straight to that specific plugin in the tab – however it won’t let you go back to the main menu) – but the base program doesn’t have this functionality after all this time. While Style Settings is a great example of how to code this, it’s not the only functionality I want to be able to see! (Also, for that matter, it’d be nice to have the system documentation open that way instead of in my browser.)

Often what I’m looking for is something as simple as “hey, what icons was I using for xyz and how does it look if I change it” and I don’t necessarily want to open a browser to do that, or, as @jwl mentioned, open a duplicate instance so I can see my changes.