'Open Recent' menu always disabled on Mac since 1.5.8 installer

Steps to reproduce

Note: This needs to be done on a Mac where at least 1 vault has previously been opened in Obsidian.

1. Open Obsidian
  2. Click on the ‘Open another vault’ button in the left ribbon, to confirm that previously viewed vaults are listed
  3. From the menu at the top of the Mac screen, select File → Open Recent

Note: I have confirmed that the same occurs when the only open vault is a brand new one, with no plugins installed or enabled - but have not listed the steps to do that, as it is not needed to reproduce the problem.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? Y

Expected result

Can select previously opened vault

Actual result

Open Recent is disabled/greyed out

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.8
	Installer version: v1.5.8
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.2.0: Wed Nov 15 21:54:10 PST 2023; root:xnu-10002.61.3~2/RELEASE_X86_64 23.2.0
	Login status: logged in
	Catalyst license: vip
	Insider build toggle: on
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: adapt to system
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

This worked with the following setup:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Installer version: v1.4.13
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.2.0: Wed Nov 15 21:54:10 PST 2023; root:xnu-10002.61.3~2/RELEASE_X86_64 23.2.0

And stopped working with this:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Installer version: v1.5.8
1 Like

Here is a screenshot of my ‘Open another vault’ view, to show that I really do have other ‘Recent’ vaults:

On Discord in vip-lounge, users pseudometa, trainbuffer and Pch have confirmed that they see the problem too, with the same versions.

1 Like

thanks

Just to add a response from Obsidian team members via Discord.
It’s an upstream bug in Electron:

1 Like

Argentum pointed out on Discord that a three-finger-swipe down on the Mac trackpad shows all the recent vaults and provides easy access to them.

That’s a great workaround for now!