OCR images/screenshots to make them searchable

During meetings, I often paste screenshots containing large blocks of text. It would be valuable to be able to have search include the words from those blocks of text. For instance, if I had this image in a page

It would be great if anytime that I searched “life’s work”, that image would be included.

30 Likes

+ 1
I do miss this funcionality too.
That is still one of the bigget advantage of OneNote agianst any other tool :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes. I’m taking notes from a video right now (lots of screenshots pasted right into obsidian)… I used to do this in onenote and now I can’t search the images.

1 Like

If you store your vault in Dropbox, you can already search for text in images, since Dropbox has automatic OCR.

2 Likes

+1000 I would honestly pay monthly for OCR

2 Likes

There are at least two choises to get OCR working in Obsidian for now:

I haven’t tried the Tesseract installation yet, but I’ve used the Taskbone service. At least it’s easy to setup and it works well, but I understand that in some cases it’s not desirable to send private data to a third party to process.

A core plugin would be welcome, I think. I took a quick glance on the Tesseract installation instructions, and it didn’t look too difficult, but I wish a plugin could download the Tesseract binary automatically. Now you need to download it manually on Windows & Linux. On Mac you can use a brew command.

4 Likes

I’ve created a plugin request that we should FUND and get made: Searchable OCR

1 Like

I’ll add one more. Why stop at OCR? Also use AI to determine content if these are images. see a pic of a car? Create a car tag

3 Likes

OCR would be a big help, since the information in my notes is often in the form of screenshots.

1 Like

Just like Evernote, but less cloaked!

Just to mention… OCR for image is available in plugins. But I think that should be built in to avoid bugs and malfunction.