Obsidian Sync not working. Disconnected. Code: 1006 Abnormal Closure

I am using Obsidian Sync with Windows. That Windows is a computer at work that is configured for proxy. I installed Obsidian on that computer, but Obsidian Sync is not working.

Here is the log from that time.

2021-07-27 08:32 - Paused
2021-07-27 08:32 - Resumed
2021-07-27 08:32 - Connecting to server
2021-07-27 08:33 - Disconnected. Code: 1006 Abnormal Closure
2021-07-27 08:33 - Connecting to server
2021-07-27 08:34 - Disconnected. Code: 1006 Abnormal Closure
2021-07-27 08:35 - Connecting to server
2021-07-27 08:36 - Disconnected. Code: 1006 Abnormal Closure
2021-07-27 08:36 - Connecting to server
2021-07-27 08:37 - Disconnected. Code: 1006 Abnormal Closure
2021-07-27 08:38 - Connecting to server
2021-07-27 08:39 - Disconnected. Code: 1006 Abnormal Closure

By the way, I was able to view the list of community plugins on that computer.

1 Like

It’s possible that there’s a firewall in between that is blocking the connection (proxy or not).

1 Like

Maybe you’re right. I can use Evernote, OneDrive and Dropbox, but only Obsidian Sync is not working.

Does Obsidian Sync use any special communication protocol? If possible, I’d like Sync to run within the range of packets allowed in my office. I’m not a security administrator, so I can’t change my environment. Please let me use Obsidian Sync with communications like Evernote or Dropbox.

1 Like

I have this same issue, especially since my employer has hardened the firewall for remote workers. I used to have personal laptop and work laptop syncing.

As I work mostly from home, my workaround for this issue is to use Obsidian on my personal laptop only, but use the ShareMouse utility on both machines to easily switch between them. Share Mouse and Keyboard with multiple Mac and Windows computers.

I realise this won’t help if a) you’re working in an office or b) you don’t have permissions to install new software on your work machine. But I offer it as an option nonetheless - hope it helps!

Same problem here.

I can install community plugin but sync doesn’t work.

Perhaps it does not use system proxy.
I use cntlm because I’m behind a corporate proxy.

I am a teacher at a high school in Japan. I would like to use Obsidian from my school’s network, but I found out from the posts in this forum that I cannot use Obsidian Sync because my firewall is currently too strong. When I talked to the school’s network administrator about this, he said, "We don’t know what kind of packets Obsidian Sync is sending and receiving. Please let me know. Please let me know. I will pass this on to my network administrator.

Obsidian sync is implemented using websocket (a fairly common standard). Not sure if your firewall blocks those.
There’s nothing we can do about it.

The other day, I showed this Forum exchange to the network administrator.

The network administrator did a lot of effort, but Obsidian Sync still didn’t work properly.

I have a message from the network administrator to you, so I’ll tell you.

==========
The Obsidian synchronization process is not done properly.

If you check [Sync] > [Sync Activity], click “Connect to …” The message of is output repeatedly,

After waiting for a while, “Disconnect…” It’s an error.

I want to review the settings of the firewall.

The IP address (or FQDN) and port number of the destination server when synchronizing
Could you tell me?

==========

That’s all. Please answer.

sync-01.obsidian.md 80 and 443

Ever since then, I’ve been trying to figure out why Obsidian can’t communicate. Then I came up with one possible cause.
At the school where I work, we register an SSL certificate as a trusted root authority in IE on Windows PCs, because SSL communication goes through a special route.
I would like Obsidian.exe to use that SSL certificate to communicate as well. Is there a mechanism in Obsidian.exe to communicate using the certificate registered on the Windows PC?

The other day, the Aichi Prefectural Board of Education took action and allowed us to communicate without proxies for the obsidian.md domain.
The reason was that we were using a proxy that did not support WebSocket.

Thanks to all who have written in here with their opinions.

glad it worked out.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.