Obsidian Sync: keep track of file renames and moves in sync history

In response to:

Currently, when you rename a file, all of its past versions in Sync get permanently deleted. This should not be happening, version history should be maintained.

A nice addition would be tracking the rename in the version history, but as a priority, please prevent the deletion of version history.

2 Likes

I am gonna repeat here that the sync history is NOT erased when a file is renamed.
We just do not track renames and this FR would be better named: Track file rename in obsidian sync history.

Is there an intention to implement this file name tracking? It is mildly annoying to have to revert a filename to track the sync history. Thankfully itā€™s not too frequent an occurrence and I can usually remember the original filename!

Please implement this. I have files that change as they move through a folder structure, essentially using folders like a kanban to keep track of all my issues/tasks. This means once they are completed, all the history is invisible to me.

1 Like

+1
I propose a half-meaure for this:
When a file is renamed/moved, add ā€œoriginal file path/nameā€ to the sync version history.

This may not be pretty, but at least we will be able to manually revert the fileā€™s name and thus track its history even if we forget the original name.

this was implemented and was rolled out in past months

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.