Obsidian Roundup - weekly newsletter for tips, news & resources

Some of the folks in the Discord asked about a weekly newsletter to help people who can’t keep up with the plugin news, css tips, new features, hacky workarounds and feature requests the Obsidian community comes up with. So I put one together on a self-hosted ghost installation (which was an adventure). It ships out every Saturday morning EST. The idea is to hopefully help folks keep on top of things without having to check back to the forums/discord/reddit/twitter/YouTube constantly.

You can sign up via email, RSS, or just by manually checking the website once a week.

FAQ

Is it really free? It says that the free option will only give me access to a preview.

The “preview” thing is the default ghost message. I’m working on trying to figure out how to get rid of it, but it requires some slightly tricky stuff on the backend.

All content is free! The $1 tier is for people who want to help defer server costs or just say ‘thanks.’ There is one post per week (it ships around 7:30am EST on Saturdays) that goes to everyone who is signed up via either the email newsletter or the RSS feed. If people prefer to neither and just visit the website, all content will be there, free for everyone.

Ok, so why use Ghost instead of something like Substack?

I like to own my data and control my own “branding.” It was also a bit of an experiment, because I’ve heard a lot of hype about ghost and wanted to know more about it. I’ve learned a lot about the backend of newsletter mailing servers, so I’m glad I went with the more technically demanding option even if I haven’t managed to completely customize it yet.

Why should I sign up for the newsletter when I could just check the starboard once a week?

I read everything that’s posted in the community discord or reddit in English, so the roundup includes things that aren’t on the starboard, like small quality of life plugin updates or tips and tricks specifically aimed at developers. I also organize the content into categories, like “plugins” and “personal knowledge management tips” which in theory will help information management easier for people trying to keep up with development on a more casual basis.

Everything? How do you do it? Don’t you have a toddler?

I read very, very fast and have an extremely supportive spouse.

40 Likes

Obsidian Roundup | Weekly Recap of All Things Obsidian | News & Information - now available! In Your Inbox, Online or Subscribe

2021-08-14: Highlights Syncing & a Minimal Editor GUI

Default view modes, emoji shortcodes, & CLI tools for plugin devs.

To Read: 2021-08-14: Highlights Syncing & a Minimal Editor GUI

Attention New Users: this is a great way to learn what’s happening in the World of Obsidian!

Subscribe here : 2021-08-14: Highlights Syncing & a Minimal Editor GUI

Published by : @EleanorKonik

Enjoy!

Guess what day it is? (I couldn’t resist adding this link) Obsidian Roundup day!

2021-08-21 Paid Dev Opportunities & Time Tracking with Toggl

Advanced pdf processing, spellchecker requests & a vault for the meta-game Nomic.

To Read: 2021-08-21 Paid Dev Opportunities & Time Tracking with Toggl

Attention New Users: this is a great way to learn what’s happening in the World of Obsidian!

Subscribe here: 2021-08-21 Paid Dev Opportunities & Time Tracking with Toggl

Published by: @EleanorKonik (Thanks Eleanor for putting this together!)

Enjoy!

1 Like

Saturday = Obsidian Roundup! Your Weekly Recap of All Things Obsidian | News & Information - Now Available in your Inbox, Online or Subscribe!

2021-08-28: 20 Plugins & Several Philosophies of Tags

There were so many plugins I subdivided them into categories: task management, prettification, commands, calendar & advanced.

To Read: 2021-08-28: 20 Plugins & Several Philosophies of Tags

New Users: this is a great way to learn what’s happening in the Obsidian World!

Read Archives: 2021-08-28: 20 Plugins & Several Philosophies of Tags

Subscribe here: 2021-08-28: 20 Plugins & Several Philosophies of Tags

Published by: @EleanorKonik (Thanks Eleanor for putting this together!)

What’s your favorite thing about Obsidian Roundup?

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Really helpful to know this, @EleanorKonik, thank you so much.

2 Likes

Obsidian Roundup! Your Weekly Recap of All Things Obsidian | News & Information - Now Available in your Inbox, Online or Subscribe!

2021-09-04: View ![[transclusions]] in edit mode & an end to early bird pricing!

Lots of stuff for developers this week: requests, a way to download all plugin code, & discussions about inter-plugin API best practices.

To Read : https: 2021-09-04: View ![[transclusions]] in edit mode & an end to early bird pricing!

Attention New Users : this is a great way to learn what’s happening in the World of Obsidian!

Subscribe : https://obsidianroundup.org

Read Archives : Blog

Published by : @EleanorKonik (Thanks Eleanor for putting this together!)

Enjoy!

Saturday = Obsidian Roundup! Your Weekly Recap of All Things Obsidian | News & Information - Now Available in your Inbox, Online or Subscribe!

2021-09-11 Edit/Preview Autoswitcher & a Collaboration Guide

Save the date for October community talks, a defense of graph view, and a bunch of ancillary tool info.

To Read : https: 2021-09-11 Edit/Preview Autoswitcher & a Collaboration Guide

Attention New Users : this is a great way to learn what’s happening in the World of Obsidian!

Subscribe : https://obsidianroundup.org

Read Archives : Blog

Published by : @EleanorKonik (Thanks Eleanor for putting this together!)

Enjoy!

2021-09-25: Obsidian October: develop stuff for a chance to earn prizes!

Obsidian Sync increased their vault size limits. Plus new interviews, theme & plugin development guides, & a fancy new tag navigation plugin.

*Attention New Users: this is a great way to learn what’s happening in the World of Obsidian!

To Read: 2021-09-25: Obsidian October: develop stuff for a chance to earn prizes!

Obsidiant Roudup Collection of Resources: Resources

Subscribe: https://obsidianroundup.org

Read Archives: Blog

Published by: u/Eleanor_Konik (The Obsidian Roundup is so helpful to the community Thanks Eleanor!)

Comment and tell u/Eleanor_Konik what you enjoy most about the Roundup!

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting these here!

1 Like

**Saturday = Obsidian Roundup! Your Weekly Recap of All Things Obsidian | News & Information - Now Available in your Inbox, Online or Subscribe!**Obsidian Roundup is so helpful to the community Thanks Eleanor!)

2021-10-02: Premade Concept Hierarchies & a Virtual Community Meeting Space

Templater is looking for an additional maintainer. There’s also a new plugin to enforce style guides.

*Attention New Users: this is a great way to learn what’s happening in the World of Obsidian!

To Read: 2021-10-02: Premade Concept Hierarchies & a Virtual Community Meeting Space

Obsidian Roundup Collection of Resources: Resources

Published by: u/Eleanor_Konik (The Obsidian Roundup is so helpful to the community Thanks Eleanor!)

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting this!

1 Like

Obsidian Roundup! Your Weekly Recap of All Things Obsidian | News & Information - Now Available in your Inbox, Online or Subscribe!

2021-10-09: Style Guide Enforcement & Sitemap-style view

The Codemirror Options plugin added some new WYSIWYG functionality & you can mass-convert links between wiki-style and markdown Link Converter.

To Read: 2021-10-09: Style Guide Enforcement & Sitemap-style view

Enjoy!

@EleanorKonik’s Roundup is at the top of my favorite subscriptions – a great resource for the Obsidian community. It’s like a must-have index to all-things-Obsidian.

2 Likes

Thanks Ed :heart: it makes me really happy to know you’re finding it useful!

2 Likes

Saturday = Obsidian Roundup! Your Weekly Recap of All Things Obsidian | News & Information - The latest issue is now available in your Inbox, Online or Subscribe!

2021-10-15: More WYSIWYG Functionality & Some Really Nice Documentation

Improved snippet management, a GUI for multi-color highlighting, & chart generation from markdown tables.

To Read: 2021-10-15: More WYSIWYG Functionality & Some Really Nice Documentation

Enjoy!

1 Like

Saturday = Obsidian Roundup! Your Weekly Recap of All Things Obsidian | News & Information - The latest issue is now available in your Inbox, Online or Subscribe!

2021-10-23: New Calendar & Code Renders in Edit Mode
iOS guides, more WYSIWYG improvements, & some neat text tabbing & cursor tricks.

To Read: 2021-10-23: New Calendar & Code Renders in Edit Mode

This Issues Question: What’s your favorite plugin and why?

1 Like

Right now it’s definitely the fantasy calendar!

1 Like

I guess I need to go check it out, instead of doing what I should be doing, right? haha

1 Like

2021-10-30: Community Initiatives, 8 New Themes (!), & an RSS Reminder

Obsidian October participants make sure you submit your contribution. NaNoWriMo participants, make sure you check out our dedicated Discord thread.

To Read: 2021-10-30: Community Initiatives, 8 New Themes (!), & an RSS Reminder

This Issues Question: What plugin do you really want to try, but haven’t? Why do you want to try this plugin?

2021-11-05: Graph Analysis, Podcast Notes, & 8 More (!) Themes

The initial load-in on mobile got some improvements. There’s new courseware, and lots of new integration opportunities with Alfred.

To Read: 2021-11-05: Graph Analysis, Podcast Notes, & 8 More (!) Themes

This Issues Question: What is your favorite plugin and why?