Obsidian keeps indexing notes when starting up

My vault keeps indexing my notes every time I open the mobile app.
I have been using Obsidian Sync for my laptop and phone for about a month and it has worked great up until today.

What I’m trying to do

Prevent Obsidian from indexing all files every time I open the app. As stated in the popup message, this should only happen once.

Things I have tried

I have tried searching other topics/thread s on this forum for an answer.
So far the only potential solution I found was here, that this could be caused by a corrupted file.
But since I have over 1200 files in my vault it could be very time consuming to find a specific file that is causing the error.

Does anyone have any tips on how this can be solved?

I was never actually able to solve this. I have about 1300 files by now (actually likely more) and it almost always reindexes the vault. I recently tried going through and copying them over group by group to narrow down the issue, but the problem with that is if it’s under a certain number of notes the indexing is so fast that I can’t always see if it’s doing it.

So I’ve just mostly given up on this.


Oh ok that sucks… but thanks for the update!
When I get some time over maybe I will try removing one folder at a time (including snippets and plugins) and see what happens.

I don’t know if this could considered an application bug this point. Very hard to reproduce the error with an empty vault but it seems like this problem is happening to several people.

1 Like

I encountered a similar repeated indexing situation on the windows version before. My case is not on the mobile version, so I don’t know if it is relevant to your case, but
I have improved the problem by deleting the indexedDB file and reinstalling Obsidian as described in the following thread.
Vault does not automatically sync on Ubuntu anymore - “Cannot read properties of null (reading ‘put’)” - Bug graveyard - Obsidian Forum

I don’t think you can use the same method with mobile, but if your other vaults you are syncing are OK, why not create a new empty vault on your phone, sync the data, and see if the problem occurs there? (Or perhaps it would be better to contact support if you are using Obsidian Sync).

1 Like

Other kinds of files that I think I remembering hearing can occasionally cause problems (I may be misremembering, but all should be checkable):

  • Very large notes (like multi-megabytes of Markdown)
  • Notes with lots of HTML
  • Notes that contain base64-encoded images
  • EDIT: HTML files that mistakenly have an .md filename extension

@CawlinTeffid @CawlinTeffid @ReaderGuy42
Thanks guys for the input. I finally got around to investigating it and I think I found the problem.
It seems that indexing-bug was caused by the community plugin Frontmatter links. I used it quite extensively, with “links” in the frontmatter in basically all my notes.

Now that we have Obsidian version 1.4 it is finally a native feature to link to other notes in the frontmatter, which is convenient. So I just uninstalled the plugin and the indexing problem went away.

Takeaway notes

If someone else is experience this issue - I recommend to make a backup of your .obsidian folder so you don’t lose your settings and then try reinstalling the plugins one by one.
For some people it might be caused by a single file your vault, I don’t know, but if you’re lucky it’s just a bug in one of the plugins.


This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.