Obsidian Icons Plugin – Use Icons in your Obsidian Notes

Update: As of version 0.2.2 you can install the plugin via Obsidians Plugin Settings (without manually installing files). Just search for “Icons Plugin” - then install and activate it!

I’m curious to hear your feedback. If you find any bugs, kindly report them by creating an issue on GitHub.

2 Likes

Yesterday, https://iconduck.com/ waddled across my screen and I immediately wondered if you had also heard of it @dc17? They have collected and tagged 108,000 free and open source icons plus made an api for accessing them.

I don’t know if this speaks to you but, well, there it is. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Thank you very much for making such a fun-to-use plugin!

Future idea for you to consider… adding ability for registered FontAwesome users to get the full set of fonts.

2 Likes

Hi, and thank your for creating this plugin.
I was indeed saying that Obsidian was lacking a bit of flavour. :grinning:
I installed it via Obsidian community plugins.

I am used to use the font awesome ones : I tried several ones and only 2 get picked up.
Is there a way to check the actual list or is it dynamically selected?

FAS

Icon Rendering
Bookmark fas:Bookmark = OK
Gamepad fas:Gamepad = OK
Diamond fas:Diamond = KO
Graduation-cap fas:Graduation-cap = KO
Folder fas:Folder = KO
Lightbulb-o fas:Lightbulb-o = KO

Also what is the command to get the pop-up to open for selection of the icons? I could only type in your examples
(am on Windows 7)
thanks

@fredini: Ctrl+P = command palette.

1 Like

@Klaas
Thanks! sorry am new

@dc17
interesting thing now is the conflict with the 2 new plugins I just installed yesterday (funny synchronicity): they both have the same command!

Url to iframe:

Icons:

I deactivated url to preview and could now use the icon plugin properly and with fas and far I can see now what is available (some I expected are not but that’s fine)

Great plugin , thanks

@dc17
Just published my first notes to Obsidian publish and the icons are not picked up.
The note display the code instead of the icon.

Help, please :slight_smile:

Hi @fredini, glad you find the plugin useful. Unfortunately, the current version does not support Obsidian Publish; icons only work locally (in the Obsidian app). I would have to look into it some more to figure out what needs to be done. I’ve created an issue for this enhancement in the GitHub repository.

When using it infront of heading, example:

# fas:CommentsWords of Affirmation

This will appear in heading overview:

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 19.30.41

This is “destroying” the overview of heading… why the icon is not ignored when picking up the heading text?

Thanks for the great plugin.

Is it possible to show the icon in edit mode, where I spend 95% of my time?

That would be really great!
I’m using

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/typora-like-custom-css/12822

and it provides a good “typora-like” solution, but not for the icons.

What an awesomeness! Great! Thanks!

I’m missing how to handle icons into mermaid flowcharts (where it is originally supported to)?

The notation that works for headings doesn’t work for mermaid, please advise!

## `fas:User`flowchart

```mermaid
flowchart LR
    user1[`fas:User` User 1] -- edit --> folder
```

It turned out the different syntax is used in mermaid:

graph LR
		user("fa:fa-user") -- go --> home(home)

It works on hackmd, but still not rendered in Obsidian

1 Like

is there a way to use this in folder names? or only within the inline text of the note?

1 Like

Is it possible to assign shortcuts to the Icons? Is it possible to create a note with the Icon? That way I could use a “?” icon across all of my documents that links to a note and include my questions in that one note etc.

1 Like

Hi, is this plugin abandoned? Last update was 7 months ago on github. Would be a shame, because I realy like what it is accomplishing.

1 Like

Does this not work in Live Preview mode? Or am I doing something wrong?

Yeah, needs to be updated. Hopefully it will be picked up, as it is a great plugin.

There is the relevant GitHub issue for feature enhancement here: https://github.com/visini/obsidian-icons-plugin/issues/18

1 Like

Still nobody to pick this up?

Just to share with everyone, I shifted to this plugin: GitHub - aidenlx/obsidian-icon-shortcodes: Obsidian Plugin: Insert emoji and custom icons with shortcodes

and just did a sed on all my .md files.