Obsidian Git - Plugin for automatic vault backup with git

Do you achieve to sync plugin / config ?

I also donā€™t see the config option.
Iā€™m on macOS Big Sur, just installed the command line tools, and rebooted. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times.

Any suggestions appreciated!

I didnā€™t get the config option until I had .git folder in my vault folder. Meaning desktop git setup and point to the vault folder.

I was in my identical notes folder that wasnā€™t a git repository. (I had both open at one time, and must have closed the wrong one.) When I opened the correct vault, voilĆ , there it was.

Iā€™ve the same issue in one of my Linux machines, using both appimage and snap.

anyway to encrypt files before uploading and decrypt them while fetching ?

Anyway to add encryption before uploading to GitHub?
That would be great

Did you manage to solve this? I have exactly the same problem. Thanks.

I want to use this plugin collaboratively with a group. I expect commits to be out of date if two of us are working on a vault at the same time.

Any suggestions or functionality that could be built into the plugin to poll Git for commits and alert the user that their version is out of date on real time?

Can it also display an error if a commit fails or suggest a Merge request as an alternative?

Ran into the same problem. The solution for me was to run these commands in a terminal to finish setting up git:

$ git config --global user.name "John Doe"
$ git config --global user.email [email protected]

more info can be found here

1 Like

Please add input form for user text during commit, if commit manual. Now git history useless because contain automatic messages only.

I would like have option to write my own descriptions for commits.

Hey, Iā€™ve noticed that on Windows this plugin syncs literally in milliseconds. However, on MacOS it can take up to two minutes to complete.

Iā€™m very new to git, and coding in general. I was hoping someone would be able to explain why? And if thereā€™s a why, is there a fix?

One of the things Iā€™ve noticed when creating a backup (Open Command Palette ā€“ Obsidian Git: Create Backup) is it seems to hang and I just have the message in the lower right corner saying ā€œgit: pushing changesā€.

Obsidian

No issue from command line, just wanted to better understand how to do it within Obsidian if at all possible.

What does the console say at this point? Press CTRL SHIFT I on Windows, CTRL OPTION I on Mac.

Hi, help please:
My .git folder is not the same as my vault folder (.git in the subfolder).
Plugin not detected the git-repository. How I can specify search .git in my subfolder?
Selection_064

Hello I was wondering if I can get some guidance on a macOS. I watched the Effective Remote Work and Bryan Jenks tutorials and decided that the Obsidian Git plugin would be the best git solution for someone who isnā€™t particular about their setup. I followed this tutorial which made me do a git init on my existing vault and also push everything onto my GitHub account repository. The plugin however didnā€™t do any automatic backups like I hoped it would. It seems the problem is that I didnā€™t cache my credentials. I thought I could do this from the command line by adding the remote again from the terminal then pushing to my GitHub account and adding the line of code about caching credentials before the push. I ran into the problem of not being able to add the remote a second time. I thought instead I could download the GitHub cli and running gh auth login. That executed fine but despite all this I do not have the automatic backups I hoped for and I get the same error messages from the Obsidian app that the automatic backup was fatal because something about credentials

1 Like

Hi. Replying to myself to announce that installing the GitHub cli and using that for authentication solved all my problems

2 Likes

Just a heads up for anyone using this.

This issue has made the plugin unusable for me. It locks up Obsidian at the interval you have set for the backup.

In the meantime, Iā€™m manually running the commands.

This sounds promising! My key question (and the reason Iā€™m here) is this: Does it support icons in filenames? (I suspect it does. I seem to recall someone mentioning it in the Dropbox forum.)

My other question is, Will it automatically sync with another connected computer? I use Dropbox that way. It gives me a backup on the cloud, and one on a local computer that is always up to date and ready to be accessed on a momentā€™s notice.

I could be argued out of that strategy, maybe, but it protects me from network outages and server problems, so Iā€™m rather fond of it.

At the same time, Iā€™m very fond of icons in filenames! Theyā€™re visually obvious type-indicators that sort together. (Fortunately, I found out that Dropbox doesnā€™t handle them relatively quicklyā€“before I had HUNDREDS of notes that didnā€™t syncā€¦)

1 Like