Obsidian generating folder with filename ending in `.`

Steps to reproduce

1. Open the Create new vault menu
  2. Name the new vault a string ending in the period character. .
  3. Click Create

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, I followed the steps in the trouble shooting guide. I was unable to reproduce in the sandbox vault given the issue is caused by creating a vault.

Expected result

I expected to be able to access the vault, however after being informed that it’s illegal to have a folder end in the period key I now expect Windows to throw a fit if you try to make one.

Actual result

Obsidian is able to bypass the Windows fail safes, normally it makes the folder and simply removes the period from the name, and create the folder with the period at the end of it’s name. This results in Windows thinking it doesn’t exist because it assumes it’s name has no period. I cannot access it or delete it from the File Explorer. I had to use the terminal to delete it.

Environment

Obsidian version: v1.5.12
	Installer version: v1.5.12
	Operating system: Windows 10 Home 10.0.22631
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: adapt to system
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

(I don’t know why the operating system is listed at Windows 10 Home. Afaik I am using Windows 11.)

Additional information

Another user had this issue before but was unable to get it resolved.
A moderator asked them to provide a screen recording of the steps to verify what was happening, this never got provided and the issue closed. I have uploaded a recording of myself reproducing the issue. I am unsure as to when the YouTube video will finish processing. I will keep a local copy of the .mp4 in case I need to present it in some other manner.

macOS doesn’t seem bothered by it, but I could see how it would be an issue on Windows.

thanks, I thought we fixed this

1 Like

will be fixed 1.6.2

1 Like