Period in folder name makes folder unreadable in Windows

Steps to reproduce

• Within Obsidian create a new folder
  • Name the folder anything you want, just put a period at the end. A period in the middle doesn’t produce this bug.
  • Within Windows Explorer, try opening up the folder

Expected result

You should be able to look into the folder

Actual result

You get an error message that says the following

[folder name] is unavailable. Of the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you’re connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can’t be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.14.2
    Installer version: v0.13.31
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Safe mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
It appears that Windows does allow folders with periods in the end if you make the folder yourself. I don’t need it, but It took me a while to figure out what was wrong.

You could:

• fix the bug
  • give a warning
  • forbid users from naming their folders with periods art the end

Additional information

thanks

Steps to reproduce

1) Start Obsidian 2) Create some folders & put some notes inside of them 3) Create a new folder using a dot at the end (example : "00." or "Misc."). Also notice there is no warning about this format that doesn't seem to be supported 4)Every notes inside any folders with start to vanish like if they were deleted 5) Changing the name of the folder using dots wil re-sync & make all notes come back in the vault (NB: I managed to secure my notes by copying my local vault somewhere else, before all devices syncronized to an shared empty obsidian vault)

Expected result

Users should be able to use proper naming conventions when creating folders and should be warned if they are doing it wrong

Actual result

All obsidian content is dissapearing from the vault: remaining folders are present but will remain empty until you change the "dot named folder" in a different manner

Environment

Windows 10
  • Operating system:
  • Debug info:

Additional information

Just to join the dots up :rofl:

this was fixed a while ago. you should not be able to create a folder that ends with dot within obsidian (and even windows blocks you). how did you do it?

Please, Post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.