Obsidian for web

Here is another use-case of potential Obsidian for Web from me:

As a startup founder, I have the opportunity to start my company to be markdown native, that is to say to primarily use markdown for all corp docs so it’s easy to integrate and share.

Personally I am a heavy Obsidian user and love it. For my company to ensure teammates who is newbie to markdown can have a easy start, currently we have been using HackMD.io. But I think if Obsidian have a Web version like VS Code / Github workspace / Google IDX, it could have been so much easier for us to onboard new users to Obsidian and Markdown for our company.

Currently using hackmd.io such as our product doc d3caf but it could have been so much better if we can collaborate and publish directly from obsidian web without requiring teammate to install locally first.

1 Like

I solve it by logging in to my Onedrive in a web browser at work. I also have my obsidian maid on the onedrive. So I look at the notes onedrive and I can edit them. And at home I’m working on Obsidian again.

I am looking forward to this, which is also what many people want.

Here is my reasoning for googling “Obsidian web client” and why I landed here. Lately when I’m writing something longer then a short message I find myself popping to browser to either check the writing in languagetool.org, a tool similar to Grammarly, or I just want to bounce the text against AI bot. In my case I use Bing Chat sidebar in MS Edge. In summary, Obsidian in the browser will just reduce the number of steps.

2 Likes

I havent tried them, but arent there already some plugins which bring AI to obsidian?

I have wanted a web app for Obsidian since I started using it not to long ago. When searching about it online, I saw the main argument against having a web app was that one of the major appeals for Obsidian is that it is completely local by default.

After thinking about this point for a while I thought of a possible solution/argument for making a web app version of Obsidian. It would be exclusive for Sync subscribers, to access your synced vaults from the web. At work I’m not able to install applications but I would still like to be able to access my vault from a computer at work. Similar to Bitwarden and it’s “Web vault”, this allows me to still be able to use my password manager of choice at work without having to argue with the IT guy to install it for me, which doesn’t usually work lol

1 Like

Yes, just wanted to add one more voice to the thread. I can’t install applications on my work-computer but still would like to persist what I learn. Web-Apps have been a game-changer (Spotify, Todoist, Excalidraw…), to the point where I implement missing analytical tools myself. and deploy them on my personal website.

It feels like this fruit is hanging lower for Obsidian, given that its built on web-technologies already. Using Obsidian Sync would be a requirement of course.

I get, that this violates Obsidians local-first-approach, but it would solve sooo many headaches for me and others.

2 Likes

I think Obsidian Sync should add support for web client usage. It’s already E2EE (I think, and hope) and, quite frankly, waaaay too expensive for what it currently does.

Also, I don’t get how people use the argument “I don’t need this” as a means to invalidate the need of the hundreds/thousands of users that could make good use of this. If you don’t want or need that feature, just don’t use it.

1 Like

I’m here to bump on a web client. I too am suffering from not being allowed to install apps on my box and I already have sync to view my notes, I just the ability to write them.

1 Like

+1 for a web accessible version, for reasons mentioned above(no access to install Obsidian on work machine mainly, in my case). Even if it’s a relatively stripped back markdown editor (like the vscode editor that Git uses in the browser). There just needs to be some way to add or edit a note in the browser.
I currently use iCloud to sync between iphone and personal Mac, which works fine, but I would happily pay for Sync if it allowed this feature. This is the last missing piece for me to use Obsidian whole heartedly. I attempted to use the obsidian-git plug, which worked OK, but it crashed my iPhone app and rendered it unusable (I’m guessing because of the git folder and the syncing which that plugin tries to do)

Re-Registered on the forum just to comment on this.

The option to have web access to the files stored on the obsidian servers (for Sync), even if done via a very light touch markdown editor, would be very valuable.

I could live without plugins on the webapp. Just basic md would be enough

Argument: corporate laptop, cannot install software. Also don’t want to use any sync option beyond the official one, as all other options are far worse in terms of performance

I don’t think having a web interface into the files already stored in the sync mechanism creates an inconsistency with the “local files only” policy.

Certainly not an inconsistency that is more substantial than sync itself (ie files already in the cloud)

As someone said, standardnotes has E2EE on webapp (including notes and files), so the barrier is not technical: you don’t have to break E2EE to have a webapp.

Thanks
av

5 Likes

Hi people,
I’m very attracted to Obsidian, and am experimenting with converting from Evernote. While researching, I discovered this thread. As an evernote user (desktop and mobile) for a decade, I remember 5-10 incidents in which evernote web was a lifesaver. Most of these occasions were when my computer was broken, so I used a loaner or friend’s computer for a few days. Evernote web allowed me access to important notes. Another occasion was when Evernote’s desktop version became incompatible with my OS, so for some months I had to use the web-based access. Web as an emergency-access opetion is very useful.

2 Likes

Obsidian vaults are just local folders of files. Copy (or sync) to any cloud drive and you can access them from anywhere.

2 Likes

i need it as well
I think I will implement a simple version with md, link & backlink and graph

Yes yes! For all the reasons in this thread and yours. Please do consider an “Obsidian Web” browser UI. My reasons lie mostly with the others whom a majoritively mobile existence is my norm. Best case I have a “loner workstation” but that is usually for a few weeks at most.

Obsidian does SO MANY things. So many things. But the lack of the browser access method is my ONLY showstopper. It is a must have for me.

Thank you.

1 Like

I would like to see this as well! I want to use Obsidian on my school-provided Chromebook.

2 Likes

SilverBullet seems to be an alternative worth mentioning.
It makes the choice to be a “headless” app and accessed through web browser instead.

I would love this ability to access my second brain from any device in the home network without worrying about the vault size to sync.

2 Likes

I would also very much appreciate a web interface for Obsidian. Loading a fat client and syncing has been problematic in the least when going from machine to machine. This has become a show stopper for a long time user.

2 Likes

I don’t know if in this gigantic thread it’s been mentioned yet but just for the purposes of AI alone it’s enough of a reason, to be able to web-crawl your notes or someone else’s, and absorb that intelligence. Also for quick sharing without forcing someone to download an app.

Both obvious and probably mentioned.

I’ll help with a web deployment if it’s not already being worked on. With AI this is very doable.

1 Like

Vscode has a web-Version. So by rebuilding at least the basic obsidian-features into vscode, we could use it as a workaround. Someone is working on it here: VS Code Plugin - The best of both worlds - #36 by khuongduy354