Obsidian Commercial License

COMMERCIAL USE

Commercial Use Licenses are required whenever Obsidian is being used for work for a business with two or more personnel.

Hi guys. As a software developer, I would love to use this product. However my developer life is tightly coupled to my job. I work at a business and must justify the need to purchase software when free competitive alternatives are available. I believe my company has the right policy in this regard. But it means I might never get a commercial license for this product. I would love to purchase the $25 personal license and use it for work; since Im the only developer in my company who even uses markdown lol. I dont want to take advantage of your free product for commercial use but sadly with this licensing model I wouldnt even be able to test the product out or commit to use it.

Please consider changing your licensing rules to allow individual developers to purchase affordable licenses for their professional careers.

Thank you

1 Like

Just to clarify. There is no $25 personal license. Catalyst is a support program not a license.

I agree your company policy is a good one. If you are able to justify to your company that obsidian will improve your productivity, they’ll be happy to pay. If they don’t think the benefit outweight the cost, use something else.

If your company does not want to pay for a commercial license, you could purchase it yourself. It’s $50 per year. The $25 catalyst license is for early releases and supporting the devs—you don’t need it for personal use, but it is nice to be able to support the devs if you are financially able.

Hi,
I’d like to join this question.
I’m looking for a good instrument for my daily work (personal and commercial).
It would be a good option to buy it for personal commercial use with one time payment. As for example Sublime has.
Using of such kind of instruments is a big investment for me. It’s not even about money but more about learning and adoption of the whole philosophy.
Probably it’s psychological blocker to me, but I’m not ready to invest my time for tools adoption knowing that I’ll be own eternally while I use it.
It’s not complaining about existing model but more about sharing users view and suggestion for improvements.
I’m ready to support developers with 25 of even 50 bucks if I find it useful for me, but only one time. Probably I’m not only the second person with topic starter who is interested on this. Also, I believe it will be beneficial for this app as more people know about it the more potential clients and funs of this tool it will receive.
I’m not that anyone from my current colleagues would want to use this tool in the same way as I. So, no sense to raise a question to my managers to buy commercial license. I just won’t be able to justificate it.
Also, could you please confirm on the next:

1. If I use this tool for usual work (collect and structure daily working notes) - I need commercial license ?
  2. If I use this tool during my passing learning courses, making notes - I don’t need commercial license even if I have installed it on companies workstation?

Sorry for dummy questions but I’d like to have clear understanding of what I can and can’t do :).

This is unlikely to happen. If I recall correctly Sublime has a deadline for updates too. Anyway, it’s unlikely that we are going to follow this model.

Yes, you need a commercial license.

I am not sure what a “passing learning course”.

For more info, read this