Obsidian closes when it is not being used on iPad Pro

Platform

[ x] iOS
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.0.xx

Is there a way to keep Obsidian open when you are working on another app. Switching back and forth usually finds Obsidian closed and I have to start it again. This rarely happens on iPhone. Not using desktop.

1 Like

I’d like Obsidian on ipadOS to stay active longer too.

Pretty sure this is because of the ipad’s RAM management, though possibly something different with ipadOS. I swear that selecting a piece of text before swiping out of Obsidian can keep it active a little longer. Maybe placebo though. Would really love to see this improved somehow.

iOS and iPadOS manage RAM pretty aggressively. Things that might account for the difference between your iPhone and iPad:

• Older or lower-end iPad (less RAM) / newer/higher-end iPhone (more RAM).
  • Switching from Obsidian to more RAM-hungry apps on the iPad (games, browser with many tabs open, video editor, etc).

You could try putting Obsidian in Slide Over (I don’t know for sure if that is more likely to keep Obsidian loaded, but it seems like it might).

If you don’t mind keeping Obsidian on screen, you could put it in Split View.

Thanks. I was thinking the same. Slide over doesn’t work. But appreciate the thoughts.

Ditto love to see this change. I’ll try swiping text. Goodidea

Thanks good idea.

How large is your vault? I had the impresssion that with my 4000 notes that I had imported from Bear, Obs on iOS was slower and got closed by iOS more often. Since I excluded the Bear import vault on iOS, everything feels more snappy and Obs is less often terminated.
But all that could just as well be wishful thinking and delusion :sweat_smile: