Obsidian closes when it is not being used on iPad Pro

Platform

[ x] iOS
[ ] Android

Obsidian Mobile version: v0.0.xx

Is there a way to keep Obsidian open when you are working on another app. Switching back and forth usually finds Obsidian closed and I have to start it again. This rarely happens on iPhone. Not using desktop.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like Obsidian on ipadOS to stay active longer too.

Pretty sure this is because of the ipadā€™s RAM management, though possibly something different with ipadOS. I swear that selecting a piece of text before swiping out of Obsidian can keep it active a little longer. Maybe placebo though. Would really love to see this improved somehow.

2 Likes

iOS and iPadOS manage RAM pretty aggressively. Things that might account for the difference between your iPhone and iPad:

• Older or lower-end iPad (less RAM) / newer/higher-end iPhone (more RAM).
  • Switching from Obsidian to more RAM-hungry apps on the iPad (games, browser with many tabs open, video editor, etc).

You could try putting Obsidian in Slide Over (I donā€™t know for sure if that is more likely to keep Obsidian loaded, but it seems like it might).

If you donā€™t mind keeping Obsidian on screen, you could put it in Split View.

1 Like

Thanks. I was thinking the same. Slide over doesnā€™t work. But appreciate the thoughts.

Ditto love to see this change. Iā€™ll try swiping text. Goodidea

Thanks good idea.

How large is your vault? I had the impresssion that with my 4000 notes that I had imported from Bear, Obs on iOS was slower and got closed by iOS more often. Since I excluded the Bear import vault on iOS, everything feels more snappy and Obs is less often terminated.
But all that could just as well be wishful thinking and delusion :sweat_smile:

I have less than 1,000 notes. I think this must be a ram issue. I did find getting rid of some pluggins helps it re-load faster.

if you need a faster start up on mobile, check this out: Improve Obsidian Startup Time on Older Devices with the FastStart Script | by TfTHacker | Medium

could you possibly have ā€œbackground refreshā€ for Obsidian turned off?

Barry

I donā€™t see Obsidian in the ā€˜background app refreshā€™ list - do you??
Could it be that Testflight versions donā€™t have background app refresh?

I do see it (not on TestFlight) and I have that turned off on my iPhone.

strange. I installed app store version, opened an iCloud synced vault, but still doesnā€™t show up in background refresh.
I have iPhone 11, latest iOS. Whatā€™s your device?

I donā€™t see Obsidian in the Background Refresh list on either my iPhone or iPad (both i(Pad)OS 15.7).

+1. This is my biggest peeve with Obsidian on iOS. iPhone 11 Pro (so I should have 4gb ram, but I donā€™t really think thatā€™s the cause). Only use a single vault of ~1gb/5k notes, but that still can take 10 seconds or so to load.

Iā€™m in and out of Obsidian 10-15 times a day, but often Iā€™ll go an hour or two without using it (always resulting in a reload). I donā€™t even use many other apps in the meantime, maybe 5 at most.

It also affects URI shortcuts, if Obsidian isnā€™t open (as iOS sees it), it will ignore the shortcut and you have to run it again (and re-input data).

Some kind of ā€œworking cacheā€ might be a solution?

If the apps you use in the meantime require much memory, that may contribute to the issue.

Iā€™ve worked around the Shortcuts problem by having my shortcuts launch Obsidian right before using an Obsidian URL (obviously I shouldnā€™t have to, but it works).

there is a setting that tells iOS to not unload an app by putting it to sleep.

There is Settings > Sync > Prevent Device Sleep, but it only asks for more background time when there are changes to be synced.

I did that too, but it slows down the opening of the link, even if Obsidian is already running.
I was wondering if thereā€™s a command in shortcuts that only executes open Obsidian if Obsidian is not running in background yet, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s possible.

What setting is that? If every app would use it, iOS still would have to aggressively close apps that are running in the background.