Notification toast disappears too fast

What I’m trying to do

When I open Obsidian, a number of messages are displayed of this I should probably read but they disappear too fast and I don’t know how to go back to read them.

Things I have tried

I have tried searching the web and this forum but cannot figure out how to see these old notifications.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

8 Likes

I agree, there should be a way :

• to look to review previous notifications
  • set a delay to read them
4 Likes

After seeing that there are some issue, you can in most cases open up the Developers tool and navigate to the Console pane to read these notifications there.

Sadly, that’s not always the case because notifications are created regardless of console.log/warn/error. More specifically, they are triggered by creating Notice objects and the constructor has the duration parameter which specifies how long the notification is displayed. If the notifications in question are created by some plugin, I think it’s totally up to the author of that plugin. So I’d suggest starting with identifying what plugin is showing that message.

2 Likes

Hello

I have the same problem - the notifications disappear way too fast to read them, especially when there are multiple notifications. I tried the suggested workaround of opening the console pane in the Obsidian Developer Console (accessed via Ctrl-Shift-I), but there is no record of the notification.

In my opinion, the problem lies with the Obsidian itself, not with the duration plugin developers select. Obsidian should – like every notification system with which I am familiar – have an easy way to access historical notifications. Having to depend on how long the notification is displayed is a poor design choice.

2 Likes

There should 100% be a way to view previous notifications, then the toast can be disabled and you don’t have to worry about missing one. They could still force a notification and it just goes to a bar or pop up or sidebar or something and you can check it with just a dot that uses the color you have chosen in the obsidian settings.

3 Likes

Poking around in the source code of one of the plugins, there are many examples (with different notice messages of course):

new obsidian.Notice(‘Custom rule deleted.’);

In the Console window unfortunately, there is no record of the output of any calls to Notice.

One approach is to modify the Notice member function such that beyond sending the message to a transient toast notification, it also logs the message someplace more permanent.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.