Notes are suddently empty

Steps to reproduce

Open a note containing data, stay in the note and content will disappear after one minute or so. It only happens on the active note when I’m editing it.

Ctrl+Z will restore content if you are still on the note.

Closing and opening the note after the content disappears will open a previous version of the note (without my latest modifications)

I am not able to restore with file recovery, the latest modifications are not stored (as it creates snapshots every 5 minutes).

Closing the note before the content disappears will store the content and keep it synced.

It also seems to happen with my config file since I need to re-enter the template folder each time since last update.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, does not happen in Sandbox vault.
Still happen in restriced mode.

Related issues (but topic closed) : Notes keep emptying themselves

Expected result

Kepp my work in progress.

Actual result

The latest modifications are lost.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.12
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.4.0: Fri Mar 15 00:11:05 PDT 2024; root:xnu-10063.101.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64 23.4.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

Vault is stored on iCloud
Computer OS: Sonoma 14.4.1

This sounds like an iCloud issue. Make sure this (System Settings > Apple ID > iCloud):

is disabled and the vault folder is fully downloaded; if there’s a cloud icon next to anything, click it, and download now.

1 Like

That’s what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I’d don’t have enough space on my laptop to store all my iCloud drive locally.
Thanks for your quick answer !

1 Like

You tagged this as “sync” which is meant for the official Obsidian Sync.

Are you using Obsidian Sync too? Because mixing two sync tools (Obsidian Sync + iCloud) could also definitely lead to problems like this, as the tools race each other. Your “Show debug info” says you are not logged in, so I guess you are not using Obsidian Sync. But I’m just double checking! :pray:

I’ve been there! I don’t know if this will help or not, but there is an app for MacOS called DaisyDisk. It helps you search your entire hard drive to find large files to help clear up some space. Sometimes you find some surprising things you didn’t actually need to store.

Also, if it’s feasible for you, you can consider Google Drive or Dropbox (or other similar tools) where they give you the option to select which folders will be cloud-only vs. downloaded to your computer. I don’t think iCloud gives you that level of control. You could maybe store some of your larger files there, and keep Obsidian in iCloud if it is working for you once you deactivate that automatic option.

Thanks !
No you’re right, I’m not (yet) using Obsidian sync (I though the tag was for all sync).
It’s just that I only have a too small soldered hard drive. :sweat_smile:

I think Obsidian sync is be the best solution and I will be happy to support Obsidian :two_hearts: